unable to play cds on my redhat 9 - Questions

This is a discussion on unable to play cds on my redhat 9 - Questions ; hi i am a newbie on linux i have installed linux 9 on my system i am facing a problem on my system and that is i hear all keyboard event sounds but when i want to play ant audio ...

  1. unable to play cds on my redhat 9

    hi
    i am a newbie on linux i have installed linux 9 on my system i am
    facing a problem on my system and that is i hear all keyboard event
    sounds but when i want to play ant audio or video or mp3 cd on any of
    the media players i dont hear any sound and some times when i browse
    the cd i get the icons of the songs which r shown as data files but
    when i try to open them by clicking them i get some new window which
    asks me to either open it in a viewer or a player and when i open it
    in a player afterwards i am unsure what happens but i can hear my
    songs.

    help me plz some one

    thanx in advance

    cupid

  2. Re: unable to play cds on my redhat 9

    On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 06:44:51 -0700, cupid typed:

    > hi
    > i am a newbie on linux i have installed linux 9 on my system i am facing
    > a problem on my system and that is i hear all keyboard event sounds but
    > when i want to play ant audio or video or mp3 cd on any of the media
    > players i dont hear any sound and some times when i browse the cd i get
    > the icons of the songs which r shown as data files but when i try to
    > open them by clicking them i get some new window which asks me to either
    > open it in a viewer or a player and when i open it in a player
    > afterwards i am unsure what happens but i can hear my songs.
    >
    > help me plz some one

    To play mp3 install the new non-Red Hat crippled xmms available here;
    http://www.xmms.org/download.php

    It's a good idea to get the input/output plugins while there also.

    Or install this if you only want to fix xmms as supplied by Red Hat;

    http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=524

    And download/install so the other audio players can play the mp3's;
    http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=833

    To play audio CD's you don't mount then using xmms (Audio Player icon for
    the menu) for example, have it open (Shift-L) the cdrom directory (usually
    /mnt/cdrom).

    To play video's install xine or mplayer. It's actually quicker and easier
    to install apt-get then install either mplayer or xine;

    From either;

    http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=650

    http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO

    Download and install the apt-0.5.5cnc6.i386.rpm file for Red
    Hat Linux 9;

    As root from the console or xterm session where the downloaded file
    resides;

    rpm -Uvh apt*.rpm
    apt-get update

    Optional, this will update your installed packages to the currently
    available packages; apt-get dist-upgrade

    Note: this is a good idea, but be warned it will take time. It's better if
    you have fast connection (DSL)

    apt-get install xine and/or apt-get install mplayer

    --
    If it's Thursday it must be Micro$oft patching day!!!

+ Reply to Thread