setting up an NFS server for file Sharing - Questions

This is a discussion on setting up an NFS server for file Sharing - Questions ; Hello Every Body, Here is what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to build a Network of 4 computers, 1 server [NFS] and 3 clients, like I said before I pretty new to Linux, I managed to install Linux [redhat ...

  1. setting up an NFS server for file Sharing

    Hello Every Body,

    Here is what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to build a Network of 4 computers,
    1 server [NFS] and 3 clients, like I said before I pretty new to Linux, I
    managed to install Linux [redhat 8] on all the Systems, now I trying to
    network these system together. The Problem is that I not sure where to
    start, I know in windows for example you create a domain and create accounts
    under the down for user that are trying to authenticate to this server. now
    the ultimate goal is once I'm done is to authenticate to the server so I can
    use shared files on the server.

    All of system are connected through a HUB, and I can ping the server on the
    client side and vise versa, I need to know what services I need to have
    running, what configuration files I need to be working with both the server
    and the client side, I tried to search the Net for HOWTO documents, but I
    have been successful on getting any documents that shows me some what of a
    step by step instruction on how to go about this.

    any help on where to start is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

  2. Re: setting up an NFS server for file Sharing

    Bilal Osman wrote:
    > Here is what I'm trying to do, I'm trying to build a Network of 4 computers,
    > 1 server [NFS] and 3 clients, like I said before I pretty new to Linux, I

    [...]
    > and the client side, I tried to search the Net for HOWTO documents, but I
    > have been successful on getting any documents that shows me some what of a
    > step by step instruction on how to go about this.

    I'd suggest looking at The Linux Documentation Project,
    http://www.tldp.org/

    If you share user's files via NFS, you'll want to have all the user's
    numeric ID's the same on all of the machines. The easiest way to do
    this is with NIS.

    With NFS and NIS, each user can have just one home directory, and use
    it on all the machines.

    To learn about both of these, check out tldp, and maybe get some
    books. It'll be worth it.

    --
    Jim Buchanan jbuchana@buchanan1.net

+ Reply to Thread