Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat - Questions

This is a discussion on Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat - Questions ; Hello All: Is there one? Just in case I'll explain what I want to do: * I would like to invoke a program with two or three parameters: -- usenet group name, -- a file to attach as the main ...

  1. Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat

    Hello All:

    Is there one?

    Just in case I'll explain what I want to do:

    * I would like to invoke a program with two or three parameters:

    -- usenet group name,
    -- a file to attach as the main body of the posting.

    If it cannot pick it up from some default file name, a poster name and
    e-mail as the third parameter.

    Thanks!

    Sam
    (Please post your replies here. My e-mail address is spam proofed.)

  2. Re: Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat

    In comp.os.linux.questions S.V.Proff wrote:
    > * I would like to invoke a program with two or three parameters:

    > -- usenet group name,
    > -- a file to attach as the main body of the posting.

    > If it cannot pick it up from some default file name, a poster name and
    > e-mail as the third parameter.

    What you want is the rpost command from the "suck" package, by Robert
    Yetman.

    You make up an entire news article, including headers, in a file, then
    execute a command like this:

    rpost my.newsserver.com < article.txt

    And it gets posted. The suck homepage is "http://www.sucknews.org/",
    which was working a few months ago, but when I go to it today, I get
    redirected to "FreeDNS - Free subdomain and domain
    hosting!". Hopefully suck has not been abandoned, I've made use of it
    for years, I'd hate to see it go away.

    Perhaps you can find it somewhere else on the net with a Google
    search.

    --
    Jim Buchanan jbuchana@buchanan1.net jbuchana@yahoo.com
    =================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

  3. Re: Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat

    jbuchana@buchanan1.net wrote in message news:...
    > In comp.os.linux.questions S.V.Proff wrote:
    > > * I would like to invoke a program with two or three parameters:

    > > -- usenet group name,
    > > -- a file to attach as the main body of the posting.

    > > If it cannot pick it up from some default file name, a poster name and
    > > e-mail as the third parameter.

    > What you want is the rpost command from the "suck" package, by Robert
    > Yetman.
    >
    > You make up an entire news article, including headers, in a file, then
    > execute a command like this:
    >
    > rpost my.newsserver.com < article.txt
    >
    > And it gets posted. The suck homepage is "http://www.sucknews.org/",
    > which was working a few months ago, but when I go to it today, I get
    > redirected to "FreeDNS - Free subdomain and domain
    > hosting!". Hopefully suck has not been abandoned, I've made use of it
    > for years, I'd hate to see it go away.
    >
    > Perhaps you can find it somewhere else on the net with a Google
    > search.

    I am finding that a "suck" rpm is showing up when I do the following
    search:

    http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...&system=&arch=

    Do you think it is part of this RPM? A few sites I looked at did not
    explicitly stated it.

    Also, how does rpost work when your ISP (I am on SBC DSL) requires
    authentication? Can rpost provide the password?

    Alternately, are there any free NNTP servers that would work well with
    rpost?

    Thanks!

    Sam

  4. Re: Seeking command line news posting program on Redhat

    In comp.os.linux.questions S.V.Proff wrote:
    > I am finding that a "suck" rpm is showing up when I do the following
    > search:

    > http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/se...&system=&arch=

    > Do you think it is part of this RPM? A few sites I looked at did not
    > explicitly stated it.

    I suspect so, you won't know until you give it a try.

    > Also, how does rpost work when your ISP (I am on SBC DSL) requires
    > authentication? Can rpost provide the password?

    I've never had to do that, but from the rpost manpage, it looks like
    it can:

    SYNOPSIS
    rpost [ hostname ] [ @filename ] [ -s | -S filename ] [
    -e | -E filename ] [ -b batchfile ] [ -r rnews_file
    rnews_path ] [ -p prefix ] [ -d ] [ -U userid ] [ -P pass´┐Ż
    word ] [ -M ] [ -N port_number ] [ -l phrase_file ] [ -D ]
    [ -T timeout ] [ -u ] [ -F perl_file ] [ -f filter
    $$o= filter_arg1 ... ]

    --
    Jim Buchanan jbuchana@buchanan1.net
    I'm gonna hit the highway like a battering ram, on a silver black
    phantom bike, when the metal is hot and the engine is hungry and we're
    all about to see the light... -Meatloaf
    ================= Visit: http://www.thehungersite.com ==================

+ Reply to Thread