rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install - Questions

This is a discussion on rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install - Questions ; Hi there, I'm having some slight problems with a diskless install. Here are the basics: Client - Sun Sparcstation 5 remote booting from TFTP (TFTPBOOT.IMG file from the Debian 3.0 CDs). Server - Redhat 7.3 box running RARPD, TFTPD, NFSD ...

  1. rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    Hi there,

    I'm having some slight problems with a diskless install. Here are the
    basics:

    Client - Sun Sparcstation 5 remote booting from TFTP (TFTPBOOT.IMG file
    from the Debian 3.0 CDs).

    Server - Redhat 7.3 box running RARPD, TFTPD, NFSD etc.

    The sparcstation gets the installation image from TFTP, and mounts the
    debian-sparc-root over NFS okay. In the installation tips it mentions
    that you have to enable NFS locking so that packages can be properly
    installed. There are a few steps that are followed, ending in starting
    portmap and rpc.statd.

    Portmap appears to start ok, but starting rpc.statd looks like it fails
    with the following error:

    rpc.statd[166]: Version 1.0 Starting
    rpc.statd[167]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).

    The only things I've found on the net have related to services not
    running on the server, or not having r/w access to the root filesystem.
    Nothing I've found so far has helped. I can provide more information if
    necessary.

    Any suggestions?

    Cheers,
    Oliver.

  2. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    In comp.os.linux.help Oliver Hookins wrote:
    > Hi there,

    > I'm having some slight problems with a diskless install. Here are the
    > basics:

    > Client - Sun Sparcstation 5 remote booting from TFTP (TFTPBOOT.IMG file
    > from the Debian 3.0 CDs).

    > Server - Redhat 7.3 box running RARPD, TFTPD, NFSD etc.

    > The sparcstation gets the installation image from TFTP, and mounts the
    > debian-sparc-root over NFS okay. In the installation tips it mentions
    > that you have to enable NFS locking so that packages can be properly
    > installed. There are a few steps that are followed, ending in starting
    > portmap and rpc.statd.

    > Portmap appears to start ok, but starting rpc.statd looks like it fails
    > with the following error:

    > rpc.statd[166]: Version 1.0 Starting
    > rpc.statd[167]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).

    Then portmap is not running. Check with rpcinfo -p localhost.

    Or you've locked yourself out via hosts.deny. Check that.

    Peter

  3. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.help Oliver Hookins wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,

    >>I'm having some slight problems with a diskless install. Here are the
    >>basics:

    >>Client - Sun Sparcstation 5 remote booting from TFTP (TFTPBOOT.IMG file
    >>from the Debian 3.0 CDs).

    >>Server - Redhat 7.3 box running RARPD, TFTPD, NFSD etc.

    >>The sparcstation gets the installation image from TFTP, and mounts the
    >>debian-sparc-root over NFS okay. In the installation tips it mentions
    >>that you have to enable NFS locking so that packages can be properly
    >>installed. There are a few steps that are followed, ending in starting
    >>portmap and rpc.statd.

    >>Portmap appears to start ok, but starting rpc.statd looks like it fails
    >>with the following error:

    >>rpc.statd[166]: Version 1.0 Starting
    >>rpc.statd[167]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).

    > Then portmap is not running. Check with rpcinfo -p localhost.
    >
    > Or you've locked yourself out via hosts.deny. Check that.

    Portmap is running on both the server and on the client.

    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100024 1 udp 1024 status
    100024 1 tcp 1024 status
    100011 1 udp 624 rquotad
    100011 2 udp 624 rquotad
    100011 1 tcp 627 rquotad
    100011 2 tcp 627 rquotad
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 1051 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 1051 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 1051 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 1052 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 4113 mountd
    100005 2 udp 1052 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 4113 mountd
    100005 3 udp 1052 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 4113 mountd

    Hosts.deny is empty on the server, and I've added ALL: ALL to the
    hosts.allow file (although I believe some of the man pages say it isn't
    necessary).

    Oliver.

  4. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    In comp.os.linux.help Oliver Hookins wrote:
    >>>Portmap appears to start ok, but starting rpc.statd looks like it fails
    >>>with the following error:

    >>>rpc.statd[166]: Version 1.0 Starting
    >>>rpc.statd[167]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).

    >> Then portmap is not running. Check with rpcinfo -p localhost.
    >> Or you've locked yourself out via hosts.deny. Check that.

    > Portmap is running on both the server and on the client.

    > program vers proto port
    > 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    > 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    > 100024 1 udp 1024 status
    > 100024 1 tcp 1024 status

    There you are! statd is running.

    > Hosts.deny is empty on the server, and I've added ALL: ALL to the
    > hosts.allow file (although I believe some of the man pages say it isn't
    > necessary).

    You have no problem to solve.

    Peter

  5. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >>>Then portmap is not running. Check with rpcinfo -p localhost.
    >>>Or you've locked yourself out via hosts.deny. Check that.

    >>Portmap is running on both the server and on the client.

    >> program vers proto port
    >> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    >> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    >> 100024 1 udp 1024 status
    >> 100024 1 tcp 1024 status

    > There you are! statd is running.
    >

    >>Hosts.deny is empty on the server, and I've added ALL: ALL to the
    >>hosts.allow file (although I believe some of the man pages say it isn't
    >>necessary).

    > You have no problem to solve.

    Sorry. That was the output from the server only. On the client, I use ps
    to check that portmap is running, which it is. rpc.statd still gives the
    error message as above.

    Oliver.

  6. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    In comp.os.linux.networking Oliver Hookins wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.help Oliver Hookins wrote:
    >>> program vers proto port
    >>> 100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    >>> 100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    >>> 100024 1 udp 1024 status
    >>> 100024 1 tcp 1024 status

    >> There you are! statd is running.
    >>

    > Sorry. That was the output from the server only. On the client, I use ps

    I don't understand what you mean. I don't know anything about a server
    or a client from your description. I only know that you have a machine
    on which statd won't run. The above output shows a machine on which
    statd is running. Correct your experimental procedure.

    > to check that portmap is running, which it is. rpc.statd still gives the
    > error message as above.

    So what! Why are you telling me? You should be running rpcinfo as I
    asked you to! I really don't feel like playing games of 20 questions to
    screw information out of you! Show the rpcinfo output and we will know.

    Peter

  7. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.networking Oliver Hookins wrote:
    >
    >>Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >>
    >>Sorry. That was the output from the server only. On the client, I use ps

    > I don't understand what you mean. I don't know anything about a server
    > or a client from your description. I only know that you have a machine
    > on which statd won't run. The above output shows a machine on which
    > statd is running. Correct your experimental procedure.

    I mentioned there was a server and a client in the first post. From
    other posts I've read in various places I thought it might be a
    pertinent point to mention the setup I am using.

    In any case here is the output from ps which (I believe) shows portmap
    is running:

    PID Uid Stat Command
    1 root S [swapper]
    2 root S [kflushd]
    3 root S [kupdate]
    4 root S [kswapd]
    5 root S [keventd]
    6 root S init
    49 root S /sbin/syslogd -m 0
    55 root S /usr/bin/tail -f /proc/kmsg
    56 root S /usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
    57 root S -sh
    58 root S /sbin/dbootstrap
    65 root S [rpciod]
    91 daemon S sbin/portmap
    95 root R ps

    > So what! Why are you telling me? You should be running rpcinfo as I
    > asked you to! I really don't feel like playing games of 20 questions to
    > screw information out of you! Show the rpcinfo output and we will know.

    Sorry; if I knew where the problem lies then I'd know exactly what
    information to provide. Thanks for being patient. Here is the output
    from 'rpcinfo -p', which obviously shows something is wrong:

    rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - No buffer
    space available

    Incidentally if I run rpc.statd in the foreground (i.e. not as a
    daemon), it exits with the following error:

    Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to send; errno = No buffer space
    available

    Regards,
    Oliver.

  8. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    In comp.os.linux.help Oliver Hookins wrote:
    > In any case here is the output from ps which (I believe) shows portmap
    > is running:

    That's irrelevant at this stage. We need rpcinfo output.

    > PID Uid Stat Command
    > 1 root S [swapper]
    > 2 root S [kflushd]
    > 3 root S [kupdate]
    > 4 root S [kswapd]
    > 5 root S [keventd]
    > 6 root S init
    > 49 root S /sbin/syslogd -m 0
    > 55 root S /usr/bin/tail -f /proc/kmsg
    > 56 root S /usr/bin/tail -f /var/log/messages
    > 57 root S -sh
    > 58 root S /sbin/dbootstrap
    > 65 root S [rpciod]
    > 91 daemon S sbin/portmap
    > 95 root R ps

    > information to provide. Thanks for being patient. Here is the output
    > from 'rpcinfo -p', which obviously shows something is wrong:

    > rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - No buffer
    > space available

    Well, please be very specific - it is "rpcinfo -p localhost". Try it
    from a remote machine too.

    So you''ll have to run portmap with debugging on and see what it
    complains of. Oh .. no debugging switches. Well, strace it then, and
    look for stuff in logs. It must be doing something. FIrst indication is
    that your networking is funny, or else the binary is nuts. You did
    say that hosts.deny was clean?

    Peter

  9. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Well, please be very specific - it is "rpcinfo -p localhost". Try it
    > from a remote machine too.
    >
    > So you''ll have to run portmap with debugging on and see what it
    > complains of. Oh .. no debugging switches. Well, strace it then, and
    > look for stuff in logs. It must be doing something. FIrst indication is
    > that your networking is funny, or else the binary is nuts. You did
    > say that hosts.deny was clean?

    Aha! I was running 'rpcinfo -p' exactly as written. 'rpcinfo -p
    localhost' is failing saying localhost is unknown. Similarly 'rpcinfo -p
    127.0.0.1' fails with a networking error.

    Checking the output of 'ifconfig -a' seems to reveal that while the
    local loopback interface is up, it does not have an IP address. I gave
    it the address of 127.0.0.1 and tried to run rpc.statd again, and it
    appears to start without failing! Hopefully that will be the end of my
    issues.

    Many thanks and best regards,
    Oliver.

  10. Re: rpc.statd fails on diskless Debian 3.0 install

    In comp.os.linux.networking Oliver Hookins wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > > Well, please be very specific - it is "rpcinfo -p localhost". Try it
    > > from a remote machine too.
    > >
    > > So you'll have to run portmap with debugging on and see what it
    > > complains of. Oh .. no debugging switches. Well, strace it then, and
    > > look for stuff in logs. It must be doing something. FIrst indication is
    > > that your networking is funny, or else the binary is nuts. You did
    > > say that hosts.deny was clean?

    > Aha! I was running 'rpcinfo -p' exactly as written. 'rpcinfo -p
    > localhost' is failing saying localhost is unknown. Similarly 'rpcinfo -p
    > 127.0.0.1' fails with a networking error.

    So your networking has been stuffed till now! You must have been having
    difficulties all over the place!

    > Checking the output of 'ifconfig -a' seems to reveal that while the
    > local loopback interface is up, it does not have an IP address. I gave
    > it the address of 127.0.0.1 and tried to run rpc.statd again, and it
    > appears to start without failing! Hopefully that will be the end of my
    > issues.

    Nope, not quite - you are missing a /etc/hosts entry for it too, by the
    sound of it. Good luck!

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread