Networking Broken 2.6.0-test4 - Questions

This is a discussion on Networking Broken 2.6.0-test4 - Questions ; Hello all. I'm having a problem right now after compiliing a 2.6.0-test4 kernel. Networking doesn't work. I'm using Mandrake 9.1. I've got a Realtek ethernet card, using 8139too. I've tried compiling it in and having it as a module, and ...

  1. Networking Broken 2.6.0-test4

    Hello all.

    I'm having a problem right now after compiliing a 2.6.0-test4 kernel.
    Networking doesn't work. I'm using Mandrake 9.1.

    I've got a Realtek ethernet card, using 8139too. I've tried compiling it
    in and having it as a module, and I always get the same error:

    Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost network: Setting network parameters: succeeded
    Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost ifup: arping: socket: Address family not
    supported by protocol
    Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost ifup: Error, some other host already uses
    address 127.0.0.1.

    It's frustrating, because everything else in 2.6 works perfectly. Feels
    more responsive, and it's certainly a lot leaner than the installed
    Mandrake kernel.

    I've looked up the error, all the remedies I've seen haven't worked for
    me. I do also get a bunch of modprobe errors when I boot into 2.6, but
    not when I boot 2.4. Possibly just things to take out of the modules.conf
    when I get it all working?

    af_packet support is in as a module, I've tried it compiled in as well.
    Doesn't help! I haven't assigned anything to 127.0.0.1 other than
    localhost in the hosts file too.

    Can anybody help me please?

    buddy_linux

  2. Re: Networking Broken 2.6.0-test4

    I have the same (and other) problem with RedHat-9 and linux-2,6-test5
    on an IBM-T40 (it has a intel e100 card). Unfortunately linux-2.4.22
    does not compile so I am stuck with the redhat kernels. <:

    yours

    Arne

    buddy_linux wrote in message news:...
    > Hello all.
    >
    > I'm having a problem right now after compiliing a 2.6.0-test4 kernel.
    > Networking doesn't work. I'm using Mandrake 9.1.
    >
    > I've got a Realtek ethernet card, using 8139too. I've tried compiling it
    > in and having it as a module, and I always get the same error:
    >
    > Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost network: Setting network parameters: succeeded
    > Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost ifup: arping: socket: Address family not
    > supported by protocol
    > Sep 1 21:58:34 localhost ifup: Error, some other host already uses
    > address 127.0.0.1.
    >
    > It's frustrating, because everything else in 2.6 works perfectly. Feels
    > more responsive, and it's certainly a lot leaner than the installed
    > Mandrake kernel.
    >
    > I've looked up the error, all the remedies I've seen haven't worked for
    > me. I do also get a bunch of modprobe errors when I boot into 2.6, but
    > not when I boot 2.4. Possibly just things to take out of the modules.conf
    > when I get it all working?
    >
    > af_packet support is in as a module, I've tried it compiled in as well.
    > Doesn't help! I haven't assigned anything to 127.0.0.1 other than
    > localhost in the hosts file too.
    >
    > Can anybody help me please?
    >
    > buddy_linux

+ Reply to Thread