suse and sound problem - Questions

This is a discussion on suse and sound problem - Questions ; Hi, I've installed SuSE 8.2 on my laptop and basically it works great. The only thing is that sound does not work. If I use the YaST Control Center to configure sound, it recognises a M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio ...

  1. suse and sound problem

    Hi,
    I've installed SuSE 8.2 on my laptop and basically it works great. The
    only thing is that sound does not work. If I use the YaST Control Center
    to configure sound, it recognises a M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio
    Device and it wants to configure it as the first sound card
    (snd-card-0). If I press Next the system freezes and I have to switch
    off the computer.
    I also installed RedHat 9 and it recognises the same sound card and has
    no problems in configuring it. Only when I play music there is every 20
    seconds or so a squeek of 2 seconds.
    I know nothing about soundcards and I don't know where to start looking
    to solve the problem. Do I need to recompile a kernel (never did that
    before)? What do I have to check in the RedHat system to make the same
    changes in the SuSE system to make it work in SuSE (I prefer to use SuSE).
    Thanks,
    Hajo.

  2. Re: suse and sound problem

    "Hajo Molegraaf" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I've installed SuSE 8.2 on my laptop and basically it works great. The
    > only thing is that sound does not work. If I use the YaST Control Center
    > to configure sound, it recognises a M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio
    > Device and it wants to configure it as the first sound card
    > (snd-card-0). If I press Next the system freezes and I have to switch
    > off the computer.
    > I also installed RedHat 9 and it recognises the same sound card and has
    > no problems in configuring it. Only when I play music there is every 20
    > seconds or so a squeek of 2 seconds.
    > I know nothing about soundcards and I don't know where to start looking
    > to solve the problem. Do I need to recompile a kernel (never did that
    > before)? What do I have to check in the RedHat system to make the same
    > changes in the SuSE system to make it work in SuSE (I prefer to use SuSE).
    > Thanks,
    > Hajo.

    Try configuring the card again, but this time, boot with the "acpi=off" lilo
    bootoption.

    Luc

+ Reply to Thread