Help me out please - Questions

This is a discussion on Help me out please - Questions ; Greetings everyone, I am a computer science student in Canada, so the following questions are general only, and mostly to confirm what I think I know :O) Anyway, I am so sick of MS WinXP that I am going to ...

  1. Help me out please

    Greetings everyone, I am a computer science student in Canada, so the
    following questions are general only, and mostly to confirm what I think I
    know :O)

    Anyway, I am so sick of MS WinXP that I am going to give up much computer
    gaming, and ditch it in favour of linux.

    So my questions are:
    Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to different distros? Or are
    they primarily appearance and flavour preferences?

    What is the preferred internet browser on linux? Mozilla/netscape is the
    only browser besides ms IE that I am familiar with, and I have been mostly
    satisfied with Netscape, but wouldn't mind trying out another popular
    solution.

    As above, but for Outlook express, I need to get email, and read newsgroups,
    I recall a package called 'evolution' I believe that was getting some hype a
    while back, opinions?

    And replacements for ICQ/MSN/YahooM, etc.. currently I use trillian to keep
    track of everyone on different services, and would prefer a similar setup
    under linux.

    finally, the sticker, as far as I know: I have a Sony clie SJ20, and I
    _need_ to keep it synchronizeable with my pc.
    I know that there are linux packages that will synch with Palm OS devices,
    but I worry about the clie, becuase it loaded a customized Palm Desktop when
    I bought it. Is there software for this?

    Also, Ideally I'd like the Clie addressbook, to be synchronized with the
    email client.

    Now less critical, but still necessary - media!

    I have a _large_ library of CDs and DVDs, which have been compressed to MP3,
    or DivX and would dearly love to be able to play them on Linux. For that
    matter, will my DVD-Rom still play DVDs under linux, I understand that there
    are the copyright issues, but illegal solutions exist?

    Finally,
    I require Java, C, C++, and microassembly capability for
    programming/testing/debugging.
    Microassembly is not really an issue, but it would be nice, Java is
    CRITICAL.

    As an aside to all of the above, I'd like to be able to log into my box from
    school, to retreive assignments, timetable, music, IM access, etc. but my
    computer at home is behing a hardware broadband router/switch, with NAT
    firewall.
    What will work, what won't?

    I dearly thank anyone who takes the time to share their experiences, or
    expertise on any of the above questions.

    I would ideally like to make this change to linux, before september 8th,
    (when school starts) and have it tested thoroughly.
    Also, I have an old 300Mhz celeron box currently unused, that I would like
    to setup as a local fileserver/printserver, is this possible, or is it too
    slow for linux? (without X presumeably, text only, for maintenance.)

    ~ Ian

  2. Re: Help me out please

    On Tue, 02 Sep 2003 11:44:04 -0400, Ian Rogers wrote:

    > Greetings everyone, I am a computer science student in Canada, so the
    > following questions are general only, and mostly to confirm what I think I
    > know :O)
    >
    > Anyway, I am so sick of MS WinXP that I am going to give up much computer
    > gaming, and ditch it in favour of linux.
    >
    > So my questions are:
    > Are there any major advantages/disadvantages to different distros? Or are
    > they primarily appearance and flavour preferences?

    Mandrake, Red Hat and SuSe are the most Windows-like and fairly easy to
    use. I love my Mandrake, and is quite easy to use in general.

    > What is the preferred internet browser on linux? Mozilla/netscape is the
    > only browser besides ms IE that I am familiar with, and I have been mostly
    > satisfied with Netscape, but wouldn't mind trying out another popular
    > solution.

    Mozilla is the most used browser, but browsers like Galeon, Firebird,
    Opera and Konquorer are readily available and do the job too.

    > As above, but for Outlook express, I need to get email, and read newsgroups,
    > I recall a package called 'evolution' I believe that was getting some hype a
    > while back, opinions?

    Yep, Evolution is considered to be the Linux equivalent of Outlook
    (without the virus problem, grin). However, Sylpheed and Mozilla Messenger
    are very nice Email clients, and Pan a more than nice news reader. Knode
    is pretty decent for a newsreader as well.

    > And replacements for ICQ/MSN/YahooM, etc.. currently I use trillian to keep
    > track of everyone on different services, and would prefer a similar setup
    > under linux.

    There are a variety of such IM clients that handle more than one IM
    service. I like GAIM myself.

    > finally, the sticker, as far as I know: I have a Sony clie SJ20, and I
    > _need_ to keep it synchronizeable with my pc.
    > I know that there are linux packages that will synch with Palm OS devices,
    > but I worry about the clie, becuase it loaded a customized Palm Desktop when
    > I bought it. Is there software for this?
    >
    > Also, Ideally I'd like the Clie addressbook, to be synchronized with the
    > email client.
    >

    > Now less critical, but still necessary - media!
    >
    > I have a _large_ library of CDs and DVDs, which have been compressed to MP3,
    > or DivX and would dearly love to be able to play them on Linux. For that
    > matter, will my DVD-Rom still play DVDs under linux, I understand that there
    > are the copyright issues, but illegal solutions exist?
    >
    > Finally,
    > I require Java, C, C++, and microassembly capability for
    > programming/testing/debugging.
    > Microassembly is not really an issue, but it would be nice, Java is
    > CRITICAL.

    I have Java on my computer.

    > As an aside to all of the above, I'd like to be able to log into my box from
    > school, to retreive assignments, timetable, music, IM access, etc. but my
    > computer at home is behing a hardware broadband router/switch, with NAT
    > firewall.
    > What will work, what won't?
    >
    > I dearly thank anyone who takes the time to share their experiences, or
    > expertise on any of the above questions.
    >
    > I would ideally like to make this change to linux, before september 8th,
    > (when school starts) and have it tested thoroughly.
    > Also, I have an old 300Mhz celeron box currently unused, that I would like
    > to setup as a local fileserver/printserver, is this possible, or is it too
    > slow for linux? (without X presumeably, text only, for maintenance.)

    Probably fast enough, unless it is way short on RAM, to be a server. Too
    slow for a GUI and using it as a primary "computer", esp. using KDE or
    GNOME, is my guess.

    > ~ Ian

+ Reply to Thread