Re: Redhat GNOME newbie questions about file and directory structure - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: Redhat GNOME newbie questions about file and directory structure - Questions ; > 1. I want to understand the directory structure of the OS. > With windows, I go into "My Computer" and I am essentially drilled > down as far as I can go. Opening the drive shows me a series ...

  1. Re: Redhat GNOME newbie questions about file and directory structure

    > 1. I want to understand the directory structure of the OS.
    > With windows, I go into "My Computer" and I am essentially drilled
    > down as far as I can go. Opening the drive shows me a series of
    > folders some of which are os related some are program related, and
    > some are data.
    > With a MAC I use the Hard Drive with the same result.
    > With Netware I have volumes.
    >
    > With Linux it seems as though I can never be sure if I am drilled down
    > as far as there is to go.
    > Is there a GUI equivalent to "My Computer" ?
    > Is there anyone that can explain the directory structure?

    I read this manual, and it explains things very good! I would reccomend you
    to read this!
    http://tille.soti.org/training/tldp/
    Read chapter 3. It will explain how file system works!

    > 2. On my Desktop I have an item that is Labeled "Start Here" when I
    > open it, it opens the GNOME shell to the following location:
    > "start-here///"
    > Where is this?
    > If I wanted to browse to this location manually how would I go about
    > it? This kind of related to my first question.

    If im not wrong, this is your home directory. /home/[username]

    > 3. How do I remove programs from the redhat menu? For instance. I
    > found the directory where the games reside. I tried to delete one and
    > I am not able to.
    > How can I properly remove a game completely (games are just an
    > example)?

    > 4. I have been able to get programs installed and running without any
    > trouble but am I putting them in the right location? I have been
    > installing them to my home directory in an apps folder.

  2. Re: Redhat GNOME newbie questions about file and directory structure

    "Erik" wrote in message news:...
    > > 1. I want to understand the directory structure of the OS.
    > > With windows, I go into "My Computer" and I am essentially drilled
    > > down as far as I can go. Opening the drive shows me a series of
    > > folders some of which are os related some are program related, and
    > > some are data.
    > > With a MAC I use the Hard Drive with the same result.
    > > With Netware I have volumes.
    > >
    > > With Linux it seems as though I can never be sure if I am drilled down
    > > as far as there is to go.
    > > Is there a GUI equivalent to "My Computer" ?
    > > Is there anyone that can explain the directory structure?

    > I read this manual, and it explains things very good! I would reccomend you
    > to read this!
    > http://tille.soti.org/training/tldp/
    > Read chapter 3. It will explain how file system works!
    >
    > > 2. On my Desktop I have an item that is Labeled "Start Here" when I
    > > open it, it opens the GNOME shell to the following location:
    > > "start-here///"
    > > Where is this?
    > > If I wanted to browse to this location manually how would I go about
    > > it? This kind of related to my first question.

    > If im not wrong, this is your home directory. /home/[username]
    >

    > > 3. How do I remove programs from the redhat menu? For instance. I
    > > found the directory where the games reside. I tried to delete one and
    > > I am not able to.
    > > How can I properly remove a game completely (games are just an
    > > example)?

    > > 4. I have been able to get programs installed and running without any
    > > trouble but am I putting them in the right location? I have been
    > > installing them to my home directory in an apps folder.

    Thanks for the link. Just what i was looking for. I think the "start
    here" icon is actually a program of some sort. Part of Gnome.

+ Reply to Thread