linux and internet connection through standard modem - Questions

This is a discussion on linux and internet connection through standard modem - Questions ; i managed to install the modem and made a connection through kppp or somthenig like that and setup all the DNS and the things necesery by my ISP to connect but when i try connecting through that connection , modem ...

  1. linux and internet connection through standard modem

    i managed to install the modem and made a connection
    through kppp or somthenig like that and setup all the
    DNS and the things necesery by my ISP to connect but
    when i try connecting through that connection ,
    modem dials the number, connects but there is no
    transfer going through the line ( no page can be
    loaded in browser ... no ping no nothing .. .dead ??
    what can this be ....

    yes the linux is redhat8 and modem is external one
    so there should be trouble with it, i mean i connected
    and everything looks fine ??!??! is there something
    else that i should configure in some linux configuration
    or ???

    sorry but i'm new in this one ...

    thanks

  2. Re: linux and internet connection through standard modem

    Dan Shackelford scribbled:

    > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:27:11 +0200, FReaK wrote:
    > Two obvious things to check ... /etc/resolv.conf to make sure it has the
    > correct name (DNS) servers, and in KPPP, make sure you are using chap or
    > pap, depending on your ISP.

    You should verify the routing table is correctly configured.

    % route

    Should display a couple lines as shown below although your entries may be
    different.

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use
    Iface
    10.0.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    default 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1

    If the line with 10.0.0.1 (or whatever address your local router has been
    configured) is missing, type the following at a command prompt (as root).

    route add -net default gw 10.0.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 0

    Then ping a hodt such as www.flash.net to determine whether the DNS and
    routing are properly configured.

    --
    Free Software Foundation (FSF) Associate Member 499
    Linux Counter Statistics: UserID 277671

+ Reply to Thread