Installing packages from different distributions - Questions

This is a discussion on Installing packages from different distributions - Questions ; My questions concerns packages from different sources I have installed a Mandarke V9 distribution. Is it possible to install a Postgresql update using a package (PRM) for Redhat Linux? Reason: Books available for such software as Postgresql talk about a ...

  1. Installing packages from different distributions

    My questions concerns packages from different sources

    I have installed a Mandarke V9 distribution. Is it possible to install
    a Postgresql update using a package (PRM) for Redhat Linux?

    Reason: Books available for such software as Postgresql talk about a
    Redhat package and not a Mandrake package. I assume that following the
    book means having the Redhat Postgresql package.

    Please post your reply to the newsgroup.

    Many thanks.

    Lou Arnold

  2. Re: Installing packages from different distributions

    noname@nodomain.com wrote in message news:<3f4a2c68.5173248@nntp.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers. com>...
    > My questions concerns packages from different sources
    >
    > I have installed a Mandarke V9 distribution. Is it possible to install
    > a Postgresql update using a package (PRM) for Redhat Linux?

    Under Windows you would be familiar with the term DLL. We have dynamic
    libraries under GNU/Linux as well. When a binary is created it is
    linked against a version of the library, and also code specific to the
    version of compiler used, and the version of the Linux kernel that the
    glibc libraries are compiled with.

    > Reason: Books available for such software as Postgresql talk about a
    > Redhat package and not a Mandrake package. I assume that following the
    > book means having the Redhat Postgresql package.

    Postgresql is postgresql, the only difference between flavourA and
    flavourB of rpms is the version of compiler/kernel/glibc - the other
    difference is the patches the distributor of the flavour wants to use.

    If you have rpmbuild installed, you could download the redhat SRPM and
    rebuild so that way you have postgresql with all the RedHat patches,
    and compiled for mandrake.

    Hope this helps!

    If this is even more confusing, just use the mandrake RPM as there
    will be minimal differences between the binary releases.

  3. Re: Installing packages from different distributions

    On 25 Aug 2003 19:10:20 -0700, matherwayne@hotmail.com (wayne) wrote:

    >noname@nodomain.com wrote in message news:<3f4a2c68.5173248@nntp.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers. com>...
    >> My questions concerns packages from different sources
    >>
    >> I have installed a Mandarke V9 distribution. Is it possible to install
    >> a Postgresql update using a package (PRM) for Redhat Linux?

    >Under Windows you would be familiar with the term DLL. We have dynamic
    >libraries under GNU/Linux as well. When a binary is created it is
    >linked against a version of the library, and also code specific to the
    >version of compiler used, and the version of the Linux kernel that the
    >glibc libraries are compiled with.
    >
    >> Reason: Books available for such software as Postgresql talk about a
    >> Redhat package and not a Mandrake package. I assume that following the
    >> book means having the Redhat Postgresql package.

    >Postgresql is postgresql, the only difference between flavourA and
    >flavourB of rpms is the version of compiler/kernel/glibc - the other
    >difference is the patches the distributor of the flavour wants to use.
    >
    >If you have rpmbuild installed, you could download the redhat SRPM and
    >rebuild so that way you have postgresql with all the RedHat patches,
    >and compiled for mandrake.

    Wouldn't those patches be specific to Redhat, and cause problems for
    in Mandarke distribution?

    >Hope this helps!
    >
    >If this is even more confusing, just use the mandrake RPM as there
    >will be minimal differences between the binary releases.

+ Reply to Thread