Re: X performance - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: X performance - Questions ; :: My system is running Intel Pentium 500MHz with 80MB RAM. I have NT4 :: and RedHat8 installed on my system. I noticed windows performs much :: faster than X in RedHat. The applications takes a bit longer to load ...

  1. Re: X performance

    :: My system is running Intel Pentium 500MHz with 80MB RAM. I have NT4
    :: and RedHat8 installed on my system. I noticed windows performs much
    :: faster than X in RedHat. The applications takes a bit longer to load
    :: under linux as compared to in NT. I use 160MB swap space for linux.
    :: What seems to be the problem? Why is there a difference in
    :: performance? And sometimes Netscape closes by itself under my linux
    :: X. Any suggestions for improving performance?

    : Christopher Browne
    : More RAM is surely the prescription for better performance.
    : X and any apps running on top of it want to have a fair bit of memory.
    : Note that you would likely find performance would _improve_ if you
    : upgraded memory to 256MB and dropped to a 200MHz CPU.

    My experience and measurements show that X, a window manger,
    mozilla, and a mail client, would all fit in 80 mb with
    room to spare. Therefore, performance would improve
    more by simply avoiding kde or gnome.

    I agree that if you insist on using kde/gnome, especially if OpenOffice
    is also used, upgrading to 256kb is so good an idea that it's
    essentially required. But the web browsing and email reading
    under X described in the original post easily fit in 80kb.

    Wayne Throop throopw@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

  2. Re: X performance

    Wayne Throop wrote:

    > My experience and measurements show that X, a window manger,
    > mozilla, and a mail client, would all fit in 80 mb with
    > room to spare.

    I have to disagree. Mozilla (1.2.1) alone has an ugly habit of using
    around 120 Mb on my system. Switching to using Galeon for browsing (and
    only using Mozilla as a news reader) gave a ~30 Mb lower memory footprint.

    Jacob
    --
    »For there are only two reasons why war is made against a
    republic: The one, to become lord over her: the other, the

  3. Re: X performance

    In article <3F475146.5060802@nbi.dk>, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
    > Wayne Throop wrote:
    >
    >> My experience and measurements show that X, a window manger,
    >> mozilla, and a mail client, would all fit in 80 mb with
    >> room to spare.

    > I have to disagree. Mozilla (1.2.1) alone has an ugly habit of using
    > around 120 Mb on my system. Switching to using Galeon for browsing (and
    > only using Mozilla as a news reader) gave a ~30 Mb lower memory footprint.

    (Set followup to comp.os.linux.misc due to excessive cross-posting.)

    What makes you think that Mozilla (even the outdated version 1.2)
    occupies 120 MB? Did you do a 'free' command before and after starting?
    I see about 10 MB.

    --
    Dave Brown Austin, TX

+ Reply to Thread