Question - Questions

This is a discussion on Question - Questions ; I am looking to be able to print HTML documents from a linux command line via scripts (without user intervention) and I was wondering if you know of any tool that may do this. I have looked around the web ...

  1. Question

    I am looking to be able to print HTML documents from a linux
    command line via scripts (without user intervention) and I was wondering
    if you know of any tool that may do this. I have looked around the web
    for printing with Linux, but pretty much everything I find is for
    setting up printing, not actually doing the printing. I can convert the
    HTML if another tool will do that in the script. I also require that
    all the graphics, formatting, etc... be maintained.

    A second question I have concerns the hard drive. Is there a
    compression program that works via the operating system to compress all
    stored files and expand them as they are used similar to the Compress
    option of Microsoft Windows? I am using a computer for the HTML
    documents that does not have a lot of hard drive space, and I would like
    to take advantage of the compression tools when storing the documents as
    text compresses really well. I need the tool to work without scripting
    though as people will be trying to view the documents via a normal web
    browser at times as well.

  2. Re: Question

    Steven Scott wrote:
    > I am looking to be able to print HTML documents from a linux
    > command line via scripts (without user intervention) and I was wondering

    Look into lynx.

    > A second question I have concerns the hard drive. Is there a
    > compression program that works via the operating system to compress all
    > stored files and expand them as they are used similar to the Compress
    > option of Microsoft Windows? I am using a computer for the HTML

    A *long* time ago there was a program that would compress executable
    files in a manner that they would still be executable, they would
    uncompress when they were executed.

    I don't remember the the name of the program, it dropped out of use
    when hard drives started getting big and cheap.

    I've never heard of anything similar for data files under Linux.

    About the same time frame I remember that there was a project to
    develop a compressed file system for Linux, but I don't think that it
    was ever completed. Large, cheap hard drives again.

    --
    Jim Buchanan jbuchana@buchanan1.net jbuchana@yahoo.com

  3. Re: Question

    Thanks for the help. The problem is that I am trying to use a
    headless, embedded box running Disk on a Chip and I need to maximize the
    amount of free flash rom after installing our software.