Greetings,

I am trying to ghost a RedHat 9 build to create multiple identical
machines and have run into a snag that I can't seem to figure out.
I've searched the groups but haven't figured out so far what I'm
missing. I'll outline what I've done with success and where I'm having
a problem.

I've managed to successfully create an image of the source RH9 disk
using Symantec Ghost 7.0. I have three partitions (boot, root and
swap) and image all together. I do not use the -ial switch and just
use the defaults.

I've managed to load the image to various machines with various size
disks with no problem. In the case of loading to a smaller disk each
partition is just created with a smaller size in proportion to the
size of the original partitions.

Once the image is loaded I boot with the RH9 cd and launch a shell
with the linux rescue command and prep the disk for booting as
follows.

-fsck.ext3 /dev/hda1 -> Superblock has a bad ext3 journal (inode 8).
Clear? Y
-fsck.ext3 /dev/hda2 -> Superblock has a bad ext3 journal (inode 8).
Clear? Y
-tune2fs -j /dev/hda1 (change back to ext3)
-tune2fs -j /dev/hda2 (change back to ext3)

At this point I need to install GRUB to the MBR so that the system
will boot. The two methods I've used are as follows.

-mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/sysimage
-chroot /mnt/sysimage
-grub-install /dev/hda

or

-grub
root (hd0,0)
setup (hd0)

Either command completes successfully.

These procedures have resulted in success in the following situations.

harddrive size. I believe this works because I have compiled an i386
kernel that will support various cpus and I use kudzu which recognizes
the differences in hardware and and allows me to remove the old config
and add new config.

The above procedures seem to fail when I try to load to a smaller
disk. They don't fail entirely, but I have a problem with the GRUB
install. The partitions load correctly (as I am able to run the fsck
and the tune2fs commands). I am also able to boot the machine manually
with a GRUB floppy using the following commands from the grub prompt.

root(hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8custom ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8custom.img
boot

However, when I try to boot the machine without a floppy or CD I get
the following error.

GRUB Read Error

Because I can boot the machine with the GRUB floppy it's my thought
that the image load worked correctly, I have just done something wrong
with the GRUB install to the MBR. As this works with various machines
with the same size harddrive and fails on various machines with a
smaller drive I'm assuming that my problem lies in the differences in
drives.

If anyone has any information regarding the GRUB Read Error I would
greatly appreciate it. I apologize for the long post but figured it
would be best if I provided as much background information as
possible. Also, hopefully it will be a good reference for anyone
wishing to clone linux machines using ghost.

Thanks,

Mike