On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:32:36 +0000, Erik wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new to linux and have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer some of
> them!
>
> I first installed Mandrake 9.1 with KDE, then uninstalled it and installed
> Red Hat 9 with both KDE and Gnome, but i cant really understand what the
> diffrence is between Mandrake and Red Hat...
> The only thing i noticed was that mandrake was much slower when you open
> programs. And it looked a bit diffrence, but not much when i used KDE on
> both...
>
> Q1:
> What is the diffrence?

Redhat was the first company who sold Linux, Mandrake was in the beginning
a Redhat distro who where optimized for the pentium processor (i586) and
it still is. When the time was passing Mandrake where becoming an own
distro less and less depending on redhat.

> Q2:
> Do you use the same command in te terminal window with both the distro's?

hmm, i'm kind of os nerd. i've used *bsd solaris and a lot of different
linux distros (about 30 different i think) and the "base"-commands (ls,
cp, mv etc) is the same for all *nix (exception for more which have been
called 'mo' some times (solaris) or in sometimes has been totaly exchanged
by 'less' (less is more)) But the most commands are not built-in/basic
commands but it's programs, and can only be runned if the program in
matter of ask is installed (like, you can't run 'pico' without have
installed pico).
If you learn a *nix you can always travell to another, even if it doesn't
work like the same, the commands are still there (but perhaps in another
shape (type man ps on a GNU/Linux box and read about that command))

> Q3:
> Should i bother to install Suse and see how that looks like, or is that
> waste of time?
>
> Q4:
> Will program work for both versions?

The most program: yes. But a lot of program does only show up as
sourcecode and you'll need to compile them using the Gnu compiler, this
ain't hard if u've already installed it (mark 'developertools when
installing the distro and this won't became any problems). Sometimes
you'll need a specik library then just source the internet (sf.net och
freshmeat.net) after your library and install it then install the program

> Q5:
> If i deside to use Red Hat. What GUI should i choose? KDE or Gnome? Does
> most program work on both, or do they only work on one of them? Does it
> mather what user interface i choose?

Use the one you feel comfortable with, there are more user envoirment than
kde and gnome (xpde.com for example or clue = command line user envoirment

> Q6:
> How is the system buildt up? When you install a program, where is is put
> then? Is it like windows, that the program put some files in a install
> directory, some in the system registry, and the rest in the os-folder? Or is
> it like the old DOS? You can run it directly without installing them.

programs are basicilly installed under /usr or /usr/local, but when you
install a program you can always choose a location to install it (such as
~/my_own_program/ or similar)

> Q7:
> What is the best method to install programs? Using rpm or tar.gz?

the drakeconf tool in mandrake is extraordinary good to installing
programs, depending on your configuration you'll be asked to insert your
cdrom or even (on my system) will it download program from a pre-selected
ftp (in my case ftp.du.se). I belive redhat has a similar tool. In suse is
it called yast or yast2 (on later systems).
But there's times when you need to search for the program by yourself, try
find a prepackage that's compiled for your system. If you cannot, download
the sourcecode (most cases in tar.bz2 or tar.gz format) and compile by
yourself (read the README or INSTALL file in the dir that'll come when
unpacking the package)