Re: Lots of questions! - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: Lots of questions! - Questions ; Somewhere around Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:32:36 GMT, while reading alt.os.linux, I think I thought I saw this post from "Erik" : >Hi! > >I'm new to linux and have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer some of ...

  1. Re: Lots of questions!

    Somewhere around Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:32:36 GMT, while reading alt.os.linux,
    I think I thought I saw this post from "Erik" :

    >Hi!
    >
    >I'm new to linux and have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer some of
    >them!

    I'm somewhat new, but I think I can answer some of your questions.

    >I first installed Mandrake 9.1 with KDE, then uninstalled it and installed
    >Red Hat 9 with both KDE and Gnome, but i cant really understand what the
    >diffrence is between Mandrake and Red Hat...
    >The only thing i noticed was that mandrake was much slower when you open
    >programs. And it looked a bit diffrence, but not much when i used KDE on
    >both...
    >
    >Q1:
    >What is the diffrence?

    The differences are mostly in how they install/update, what directories they
    put things in, what programs they include, how they set up the UI, how they
    get the system started... These change even from one version to the next of
    the same distro. Underneath it all is the same Linux kernel.

    >Q2:
    >Do you use the same command in te terminal window with both the distro's?

    Mostly, yes. Sometimes, you may find that the directory is different for
    some files, and possibly the filename for a config file will change.

    >Q3:
    >Should i bother to install Suse and see how that looks like, or is that
    >waste of time?

    Depends on what you consider a waste of time. :-) It probably won't be
    that much different, but may help you understand more about what the
    differences are, if you really want to know.

    >Q4:
    >Will program work for both versions?

    Usually they will.

    >Q5:
    >If i deside to use Red Hat. What GUI should i choose? KDE or Gnome? Does
    >most program work on both, or do they only work on one of them? Does it
    >mather what user interface i choose?

    Whichever you prefer. Gnome, from GNU, seems to be the one with the most
    momentum and features, but who knows? You can always change later.

    >Q6:
    >How is the system buildt up? When you install a program, where is is put
    >then? Is it like windows, that the program put some files in a install
    >directory, some in the system registry, and the rest in the os-folder? Or is
    >it like the old DOS? You can run it directly without installing them.
    >
    >Q7:
    >What is the best method to install programs? Using rpm or tar.gz?

    I think rpm is a good idea. It not only checks dependencies
    (theoretically), but it also keeps up with what was installed, and where.
    Do read the Red Hat documentation, which is pretty good (CD-ROM #4).

    Another thing to keep in mind about the differrent distros... if you know
    what you are doing, you can start with any of them, and modify them to a
    common organization that is to your liking, or to what you think is correct.
    There is a book that tells how (I think it's called something like "Linux
    from Scratch").

    I hope what I said is more or less correct. If not, I imagine I'll get
    corrected and we will both learn.

    --
    marty redhat9@emjayef.com
    Press Enter to Exit...

  2. Re: Lots of questions!

    On Stardate : [-29]0791.06
    -Sun24Aug03-0706

    Bill Baker wrote:

    > Yes, RPM is the best idea. However, there are some programs that do not
    > come in RPM format, and you are forced to use tarballs (tar.gz or tar.bz2
    > files). These are usually installed using the ./configure, make, make
    > install commands. However, I found a program called checkinstall that
    > will create an RPM from a tarball. All you do is replace the make install
    > command with "checkinstall". It's a program I wish I had known about when
    > I first started using Linux. You can download it at
    > http://checkinstall.izto.org.

    Hello Hello, that looks interesting. Thanks for the link!

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (253 of 640)
    -> No use crying over spilt milk - makes it salty for the cat

  3. Re: Lots of questions!

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:06:27 +0200, Johann Snyman
    wrote in message news:<20030824070627.193fcf41.knopgat@ratrunner.com>:

    > On Stardate : [-29]0791.06
    > -Sun24Aug03-0706
    >
    > Bill Baker wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, RPM is the best idea. However, there are some programs that do
    >> not come in RPM format, and you are forced to use tarballs (tar.gz or
    >> tar.bz2 files). These are usually installed using the ./configure,
    >> make, make install commands. However, I found a program called
    >> checkinstall that will create an RPM from a tarball. All you do is
    >> replace the make install command with "checkinstall". It's a program
    >> I wish I had known about when I first started using Linux. You can
    >> download it at http://checkinstall.izto.org.

    > Hello Hello, that looks interesting. Thanks for the link!

    No problem. :-)

    --
    "His eyes were cold. As cold as the bitter winter snow that was falling
    outside. Yes, cold and therefore difficult to chew..."

+ Reply to Thread