Re: Lots of questions! - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: Lots of questions! - Questions ; On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:32:36 GMT, Erik wrote: > Hi! Hello > I'm new to linux and have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer some of > them! > > I first installed Mandrake 9.1 with KDE, ...

  1. Re: Lots of questions!

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:32:36 GMT, Erik wrote:
    > Hi!

    Hello

    > I'm new to linux and have a lot of questions. Hope you can answer some of
    > them!
    >
    > I first installed Mandrake 9.1 with KDE, then uninstalled it and installed
    > Red Hat 9 with both KDE and Gnome, but i cant really understand what the
    > diffrence is between Mandrake and Red Hat...

    Have you looked at the distro site's documentation.

    > The only thing i noticed was that mandrake was much slower when you open
    > programs. And it looked a bit diffrence, but not much when i used KDE on
    > both...

    Each release of a distro tries to be better than the other distro's
    release. RH may have the more up todate vidio driver. This time.
    September's release of MD maybe faster than RH.

    > Q1:
    > What is the diffrence?

    They are about the same based on your requirements.

    > Q2:
    > Do you use the same command in te terminal window with both the distro's?

    One the whole, distro specfic configuration commands excluded, yes.

    > Q3:
    > Should i bother to install Suse and see how that looks like, or is that
    > waste of time?

    That is your call. You have to deside what fits your requirements.

    > Q4:
    > Will program work for both versions?

    What program.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    > Q5:
    > If i deside to use Red Hat. What GUI should i choose? KDE or Gnome?

    The one which you find easier to use and modify.

    > Does
    > most program work on both, or do they only work on one of them?

    Yes, most do.

    > Does it mather what user interface i choose?

    Yes, the one which fits your needs.

    > Q6:
    > How is the system buildt up?

    By the installer using a rpm package manager.

    > When you install a program, where is is put then?

    Where the rpm you are loading indicates where it is to reside.

    > Is it like windows, that the program put some files in a install
    > directory, some in the system registry, and the rest in the
    > os-folder?

    No registery. Yes, config files can be installed in the /etc directory.
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html#OSPARTITIONS

    > Or is
    > it like the old DOS? You can run it directly without installing them.

    The distro's rpm puts the files where the rpm indicates where they
    are to reside. If you load a tar archive, you install it where the
    README indicates, or you can install it where you want.

    > Q7:
    > What is the best method to install programs? Using rpm or tar.gz?

    For you, rpm. tar if one does not exists.

    Two tips:

    very large Frequently Asked Questions (faq) search engine
    key words(s) in the first box
    *linux* in the Newsgroup box, pick english

  2. Re: Lots of questions!

    Bit Twister wrote:

    >> Q3:
    >> Should i bother to install Suse and see how that looks like, or is that
    >> waste of time?

    between red hat and suse you will find a difference and you will find
    that some programs written for linux will only work on red hat something
    to do with paths and file names.

+ Reply to Thread