Re: Maximum RAM disk size - Questions

This is a discussion on Re: Maximum RAM disk size - Questions ; > Of course, it will take and equally long time to load this ramdisk > with the database. Seems like you could accomplish the same thing Well, upon system start-up, I plan to: 1. create the ramdisk 2. copy the ...

  1. Re: Maximum RAM disk size

    > Of course, it will take and equally long time to load this ramdisk
    > with the database. Seems like you could accomplish the same thing

    Well, upon system start-up, I plan to:

    1. create the ramdisk
    2. copy the specific (large) MySQL files to the ramdisk
    3. create needed symlink's
    4. let it rip...

    To deal with writing out changes back to disk, I will accomplishes
    this with another MySQL server running in slave mode.

    I don't suspect this will take all that long. Even if it takes 10
    minutes, that's acceptable considering the speed gains I will get by
    nothing have to wait for disk seeks, etc... later on.

    > by putting it in disk cache, i.e., "cat huge_file* >/dev/null". This would
    > cause the file(s) to be read, and with enough memory, would stay in cache.
    > Then a subsequent search will be searching the cache copy, not reading
    > disk.

    Linux will let the cache grow to ~ 8GB? That's about how big the
    database with the the index is. 8GB will be larger than 50% of
    physical RAM (12GB).

    What will happen to the cache when parts of the database are written
    to? Is it write-back? Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about how
    Linux's cache mechanism works.

    Thanks for the info.

  2. Re: Maximum RAM disk size

    Hello, I have the exact same problem.. did u manage to get it done?

+ Reply to Thread