Re: Best speed for file transfers? - Protocols

This is a discussion on Re: Best speed for file transfers? - Protocols ; On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:08:15 +0000, ***** charles wrote: > I need to transfer lots of large (4-5G)files from several computers to > one over a network. I have access to 1G switches and such so what > would ...

  1. Re: Best speed for file transfers?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 14:08:15 +0000, ***** charles wrote:

    > I need to transfer lots of large (4-5G)files from several computers to
    > one over a network. I have access to 1G switches and such so what
    > would be the best way to accomplish this, ftp, cp, samba, nfs, zfs
    > etc....? [...]

    Any of the above will work as long as the receiving filesystem can handle
    files larger than 2GB. You will be limited by the slowest link in the
    network between your new host and each system. I usually use c-kermit on
    both ends of Unix connections to transfer lots of files. It can be used
    over telnet or ssh to do this. If it matters to you c-kermit is not OSS.
    The version for Micro$oft systems is not "free".

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck80.html
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html

    If you use it and like it you might want to purchase the manual:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/manuals.html

    Use this URL to read the C-Kermit 7.0/8.0 license:

    ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/f/COPYING.TXT

    Cross-post to: comp.protocols.kermit.misc

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: Best speed for file transfers?

    :
[...]
    Note that support for large files (> 2GB) in the current Kermit
    releases is limited to pure 64-bit platforms like Tru64 Unix.

    Preview versions of the next C-Kermit release are available here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html

    This version supports transfer of large files, both with Kermit
    protocol and FTP, on many platforms, listed here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckc212.html

    As to speed, you can measure it yourself but modern Kermit is
    a lot faster than many people imagine. It has been adapted to
    today's relatively transparent and error-free transports (TCP/IP,
    error-correcting modems, big buffers, etc) to go at speeds close
    to the connection speed itself; sometimes a bit faster due to
    a simple built-in compression method.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread