ITX / WP - not sending shift F7 (and driving me N*TS) - Protocols

This is a discussion on ITX / WP - not sending shift F7 (and driving me N*TS) - Protocols ; Hello, I have the following weird problem, and im hoping that you can help me. Im working on a Linux machine (fedora core 7) and connect trough ssh or telnet to a server, on which ITX (=Wordperfect for Unix) runs. ...

  1. ITX / WP - not sending shift F7 (and driving me N*TS)

    Hello,

    I have the following weird problem, and im hoping that you can help
    me.

    Im working on a Linux machine (fedora core 7) and connect trough ssh
    or telnet to a server, on which ITX (=Wordperfect for Unix) runs. For
    some reason, i cannot use any of the WP shortcuts. I need shift-f7 -
    The printer menu - to test printers for users.. Now, the normal F1
    through F12 work fine, but not SHIFT / CTRL / ALT combos.

    My collegues, on windows, use K95. this is preconfigured a long time
    ago (the mappings etc).i dived into the conf files and see wether any
    special parameters where set. i coulndt find any, except termninal
    protocol is vt220 or kermit. on linux this should not be neccesary,
    since xterm already has the vt220 terminal "embedded".
    I've already tried installing Ckermit, and copy the windows .INI files
    (with the key mappings for Kermit) onto my machine(and edit them
    slighty), to no avail..I tried downloading premade mappings from
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp and place those in my .kermrc
    file.
    To no avail...

    Searching the newsgroups i found commands like " set terminal keyboard-
    mode wp" to set kermit in WP mode.. But Ckermit is not excepting
    this..
    That is to say, in those post people reffer to "pressing ctrl-x" to
    get in command mode, but that doenst do anything .
    I simply start kermit by typing kermit at the prompt, and then telnet
    or ssh at the C-Kermit prompt.. once logged on there, i
    start ITX.

    Somehow i have a strange feeling my xterm or (Gnome-term for that
    matter) simply does not send the shift-F7 keystroke to the remote
    machine...
    I've tried export TERM=vt220, in the idle hope that that might change
    anything, to no avail...
    I tried from a normal terminal (no x), with the same results..

    Since kermit is so well documented im starting to feel rather stupid
    at this stage.. Im no expert, but most of this is not new to me, so
    what im a doing wrong here?
    I just need this silly SHIFT-F7!

    Does anyone here by any chance know how to fix this???
    Any help would be greatly apprecited. If i need to suplly any info,
    please dont hesitate to contact me.

    With kind regards,

    Leen Smit

  2. Re: ITX / WP - not sending shift F7 (and driving me N*TS)

    :
    : My collegues, on windows, use K95. this is preconfigured a long time
    : ago (the mappings etc).i dived into the conf files and see wether any
    : special parameters where set. i coulndt find any, except termninal
    : protocol is vt220 or kermit. on linux this should not be neccesary,
    : since xterm already has the vt220 terminal "embedded".
    :
    The problem is that Linux is not Windows. In Windows, an application
    (such as K95) can "see" the keyboard. In Linux it can only read
    characters from stdin. C-Kermit has no idea if you press F7 or Alt-F7
    or Ctrl-Alt-Shift-F7 -- it only gets the bytes that the console driver
    gives to it and passes them along to the host you are connected to.
    This is discussed here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckfaq.html#term

    Sorry!

    - Frank