SIZE error when getting file. - Protocols

This is a discussion on SIZE error when getting file. - Protocols ; Hello, I'm trying to ftp into an i/5 to retrieve a file. I'm getting an error however. These are the commands: # kermit C-Kermit>ftp 10.5.0.13 Connected to 10.5.0.13. Name (10.5.0.13:root): cmc Password: C-Kermit>cd /qsys.lib/eom063007.lib C-Kermit>bin C-Kermit>get DATAAZ.file Subcommand SIZE not ...

  1. SIZE error when getting file.

    Hello,

    I'm trying to ftp into an i/5 to retrieve a file. I'm getting an
    error however. These are the commands:

    # kermit
    C-Kermit>ftp 10.5.0.13
    Connected to 10.5.0.13.
    Name (10.5.0.13:root): cmc
    Password:
    C-Kermit>cd /qsys.lib/eom063007.lib
    C-Kermit>bin
    C-Kermit>get DATAAZ.file
    Subcommand SIZE not valid.
    C-Kermit>quit

    However, if I use the shell's (bash, suse linux 10.0) built-in ftp
    client I'm able to retrieve the file just fine. If anyone could shed
    some light on this problem I'd appreciate it greatly.

    Matt

  2. Re: SIZE error when getting file.

    :
    : # kermit
    : C-Kermit>ftp 10.5.0.13
    : Connected to 10.5.0.13.
    : Name (10.5.0.13:root): cmc
    : Password:
    : C-Kermit>cd /qsys.lib/eom063007.lib
    : C-Kermit>bin
    : C-Kermit>get DATAAZ.file
    : Subcommand SIZE not valid.
    : C-Kermit>quit
    :
    : However, if I use the shell's (bash, suse linux 10.0) built-in ftp
    : client I'm able to retrieve the file just fine. If anyone could shed
    : some light on this problem I'd appreciate it greatly.
    :
    When you give a GET command, Kermit sends a SIZE command to get the file's
    size so (for example) it can give a progress indication during the transfer.

    C-Kermit>set ftp debug on
    C-Kermit>get msk315.txt
    ---> SIZE msk315.txt
    213 16220
    GET msk315.txt (text) (16220 bytes)---> PASV
    227 Entering Passive Mode (128,59,29,214,130,34)
    ---> RETR msk315.txt
    150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for msk315.txt (15814 bytes).
    226 Transfer complete.
    C-Kermit>

    If the server does not understand the SIZE command, Kermit is supposed to say
    (to itself), "OK, fine, I don't know the size but I will still ask for the
    file", and then it sends a RETR command. I don't see anyplace in the code
    where Kermit would fail to send the RETR command upon getting an error in
    response to the SIZE command. I would be interested to find out how this
    happened. In the meantime, however, you can always work around the
    problem by giving the following command before you do a GET or MGET:

    ftp disable size

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread