Building C-Kermit-8.211 - Protocols

This is a discussion on Building C-Kermit-8.211 - Protocols ; Hello! While building the lastest release of C-Kermit from source retrieved several days ago from the site, my laptop who's running Slackware-7.1, old but works well on older gear, the process decided to crash complaining about a typo. It was ...

  1. Building C-Kermit-8.211

    Hello!
    While building the lastest release of C-Kermit from source retrieved
    several days ago from the site, my laptop who's running Slackware-7.1,
    old but works well on older gear, the process decided to crash
    complaining about a typo. It was regarding the definition of a term,
    regarding the crypt libraries.

    However trying it again, this time extracting into a fresh directory
    it didn't happen. Instead I get a normal build. I can present a
    script file of the process for those that are interested.

    And here's something strange. In the interim I grabbed a binary,
    thinking I would use that if I couldn't get a good build made. Instead
    it complains about missing symbols in the libraries. That message I
    don't have, because I discarded the binary after building the working
    one. What is interesting to note is that the laptop is wearing the
    latest series of patches that were available at the time the
    distribution was released, and the issues were of course identified.

    These were complaints about the Glibc signatures found in the runtime
    libraries. Can one of you at the Kermit place check the dates of your
    installed Glibc kits and advise me accordingly? Again this concerns
    Slackware-7.1.
    --
    Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com
    --

  2. Re: Building C-Kermit-8.211

    :
    : However trying it again, this time extracting into a fresh directory
    : it didn't happen. Instead I get a normal build. I can present a
    : script file of the process for those that are interested.
    :
    As far as I know, the "make linux" target should be fine everywhere.
    It is perhaps the most "advanced" target in the makefile, as it includes
    a number of tests to allow for different Linux variations. I can't explain
    why trying to build it once would crash (what crashed exactly?) and doing
    it again worked ok, but if you wish, please go ahead send the script to
    kermit-support@columbia.edu.

    : And here's something strange. In the interim I grabbed a binary,
    : thinking I would use that if I couldn't get a good build made. Instead
    : it complains about missing symbols in the libraries. That message I
    : don't have, because I discarded the binary after building the working
    : one. What is interesting to note is that the laptop is wearing the
    : latest series of patches that were available at the time the
    : distribution was released, and the issues were of course identified.
    :
    : These were complaints about the Glibc signatures found in the runtime
    : libraries. Can one of you at the Kermit place check the dates of your
    : installed Glibc kits and advise me accordingly? Again this concerns
    : Slackware-7.1.
    :
    Kermit binaries -- and this is probably true of most other applications as
    well -- are vulnerable to this kind of thing, in Linux especially. It is
    always better to build it on the computer where it is to be run, to allow
    for library differences and so on.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Building C-Kermit-8.211

    Frank Da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2007-08-02, wrote:
    > : While building the lastest release of C-Kermit from source retrieved
    > : several days ago from the site, my laptop who's running Slackware-7.1,
    > : old but works well on older gear, the process decided to crash
    > : complaining about a typo. It was regarding the definition of a term,
    > : regarding the crypt libraries.
    > :
    > : However trying it again, this time extracting into a fresh directory
    > : it didn't happen. Instead I get a normal build. I can present a
    > : script file of the process for those that are interested.
    > :
    > As far as I know, the "make linux" target should be fine everywhere.
    > It is perhaps the most "advanced" target in the makefile, as it includes
    > a number of tests to allow for different Linux variations. I can't explain
    > why trying to build it once would crash (what crashed exactly?) and doing
    > it again worked ok, but if you wish, please go ahead send the script to
    > kermit-support@columbia.edu.
    >
    > : And here's something strange. In the interim I grabbed a binary,
    > : thinking I would use that if I couldn't get a good build made. Instead
    > : it complains about missing symbols in the libraries. That message I
    > : don't have, because I discarded the binary after building the working
    > : one. What is interesting to note is that the laptop is wearing the
    > : latest series of patches that were available at the time the
    > : distribution was released, and the issues were of course identified.
    > :
    > : These were complaints about the Glibc signatures found in the runtime
    > : libraries. Can one of you at the Kermit place check the dates of your
    > : installed Glibc kits and advise me accordingly? Again this concerns
    > : Slackware-7.1.
    > :
    > Kermit binaries -- and this is probably true of most other applications as
    > well -- are vulnerable to this kind of thing, in Linux especially. It is
    > always better to build it on the computer where it is to be run, to allow
    > for library differences and so on.
    >
    > - Frank

    Hello!
    >From what I recall the build process exploded on the subject of the

    Ncurses library. And yes I find it interesting, and even ironic that
    it would work the second time around, as opposed to the first.

    Oh and I am preparing to send the script output of the second go-round
    to your selected address this right minute.
    ----
    Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

  4. Re: Building C-Kermit-8.211

    gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com wrote:
    > Frank Da Cruz wrote:
    > > On 2007-08-02, wrote:
    > > : While building the lastest release of C-Kermit from source retrieved
    > > : several days ago from the site, my laptop who's running Slackware-7.1,
    > > : old but works well on older gear, the process decided to crash
    > > : complaining about a typo. It was regarding the definition of a term,
    > > : regarding the crypt libraries.
    > > :
    > > : However trying it again, this time extracting into a fresh directory
    > > : it didn't happen. Instead I get a normal build. I can present a
    > > : script file of the process for those that are interested.
    > > :
    > > As far as I know, the "make linux" target should be fine everywhere.
    > > It is perhaps the most "advanced" target in the makefile, as it includes
    > > a number of tests to allow for different Linux variations. I can't explain
    > > why trying to build it once would crash (what crashed exactly?) and doing
    > > it again worked ok, but if you wish, please go ahead send the script to
    > > kermit-support@columbia.edu.
    > >
    > > : And here's something strange. In the interim I grabbed a binary,
    > > : thinking I would use that if I couldn't get a good build made. Instead
    > > : it complains about missing symbols in the libraries. That message I
    > > : don't have, because I discarded the binary after building the working
    > > : one. What is interesting to note is that the laptop is wearing the
    > > : latest series of patches that were available at the time the
    > > : distribution was released, and the issues were of course identified.
    > > :
    > > : These were complaints about the Glibc signatures found in the runtime
    > > : libraries. Can one of you at the Kermit place check the dates of your
    > > : installed Glibc kits and advise me accordingly? Again this concerns
    > > : Slackware-7.1.
    > > :
    > > Kermit binaries -- and this is probably true of most other applications as
    > > well -- are vulnerable to this kind of thing, in Linux especially. It is
    > > always better to build it on the computer where it is to be run, to allow
    > > for library differences and so on.
    > >
    > > - Frank

    > Hello!
    > >From what I recall the build process exploded on the subject of the

    > Ncurses library. And yes I find it interesting, and even ironic that
    > it would work the second time around, as opposed to the first.
    >
    > Oh and I am preparing to send the script output of the second go-round
    > to your selected address this right minute.
    > ----
    > Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

    Hello!
    Pardon me, minor brain engineering casualty, it was indeed the crypt
    library issue not ncurses that caused the first event during building
    of C-Kermit-8.0 211
    --
    Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

+ Reply to Thread