Kermit insists on treating PDF files as text - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit insists on treating PDF files as text - Protocols ; Desktop side: Kermit 95 version 2.1.3 on WinXP Server side: C-Kermit 8.0.209 on Linux Using SSH sessions I type "bin" on both sides, but Kermit stubbornly transfers the PDF file as text. The transfer from Linux to Windows is fine, ...

  1. Kermit insists on treating PDF files as text

    Desktop side: Kermit 95 version 2.1.3 on WinXP
    Server side: C-Kermit 8.0.209 on Linux
    Using SSH sessions

    I type "bin" on both sides, but Kermit stubbornly transfers the PDF
    file as text.

    The transfer from Linux to Windows is fine, the uploads are the ones
    getting messed up.

    -Ramon

  2. Re: Kermit insists on treating PDF files as text

    :
    : I type "bin" on both sides, but Kermit stubbornly transfers the PDF
    : file as text.
    :
    : The transfer from Linux to Windows is fine, the uploads are the ones
    : getting messed up.
    :
    See:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit70.html#x4

    As you can see, by default Kermit scans each file to see whether it is text
    or binary, and within this default, the default is to scan the first 48K.
    Very infrequently -- but mainly with PDF or certain PostScript files -- it
    can turn out that the first 48K are, indeed, text, and the "binary" part
    happens later, and the default file scan comes up with a false positive
    for text.

    The cited material shows the many available workarounds. The simplest one,
    if you want to control the transfer mode yourself is, is:

    SET TRANSFER MODE MANUAL

    and then use SEND /BINARY and SEND /TEXT. Other options include using
    filenamename associations instead of scanning the file's content, and
    increasing the length of the scan.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread