Kermit hex trace - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit hex trace - Protocols ; I have been asked to add support for Kermit file transfer. I have found some documentation and a protocol description, but it would help me a lot with a hex trace of a simple file transfer with Kermit. Send a ...

  1. Kermit hex trace

    I have been asked to add support for Kermit file transfer.
    I have found some documentation and a protocol description,
    but it would help me a lot with a hex trace of a simple file transfer
    with Kermit. Send a file and close the Kermit session.

    Thank's for any help.

    Hans Erik

  2. Re: Kermit hex trace

    On Feb 27, 12:34 pm, "Hans Erik" wrote:
    > I have been asked to add support for Kermit file transfer.
    > I have found some documentation and a protocol description,
    > but it would help me a lot with a hex trace of a simple file transfer
    > with Kermit. Send a file and close the Kermit session.
    >
    > Thank's for any help.
    >
    > Hans Erik

    What would help you would be to find a copy of the out of print book
    "Kermit: A File Transfer Protocol" by Frank da Cruz.

    # ISBN-10: 0932376886
    # ISBN-13: 978-0932376886

    Looking at hex traces will only result in you getting the protocol
    wrong just as so many others have done.

    Jeffrey Altman

  3. Re: Kermit hex trace

    I found the book at Amazon, and it will be ordered. But the shipping takes
    from UK to Norway takes more or less a week. So a simple hex trace would
    give me something to start with.

    Thanks,
    Hans Erik

    "Jeffrey Altman" skrev i melding
    news:1172600426.919128.175150@z35g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > On Feb 27, 12:34 pm, "Hans Erik" wrote:
    >> I have been asked to add support for Kermit file transfer.
    >> I have found some documentation and a protocol description,
    >> but it would help me a lot with a hex trace of a simple file transfer
    >> with Kermit. Send a file and close the Kermit session.
    >>
    >> Thank's for any help.
    >>
    >> Hans Erik

    > What would help you would be to find a copy of the out of print book
    > "Kermit: A File Transfer Protocol" by Frank da Cruz.
    >
    > # ISBN-10: 0932376886
    > # ISBN-13: 978-0932376886
    >
    > Looking at hex traces will only result in you getting the protocol
    > wrong just as so many others have done.
    >
    > Jeffrey Altman

  4. Re: Kermit hex trace

    On 2007-02-27, Hans Erik wrote:
    : I found the book at Amazon, and it will be ordered. But the shipping takes
    : from UK to Norway takes more or less a week. So a simple hex trace would
    : give me something to start with.
    :
    What is the point of writing a Kermit protocol implementation from
    scratch? Why not license an existing one, such as C-Kermit (for embedding):

    http://kermit.columbia.edu/ek.html

    or C-Kermit (for Unix):

    http://kermit.columbia.edu/ckermit.html

    or Kermit 95 (for Windows):

    http://kermit.columbia.edu/k95.html

    By doing that, you help to support the nonprofit Kermit Project and you
    get a better implementation than you would have coded from scratch, and one
    that is proven in the field.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread