Simple ESC sequences send a lowercase letter instead of uppercase when using ibm3151 emulation - Protocols

This is a discussion on Simple ESC sequences send a lowercase letter instead of uppercase when using ibm3151 emulation - Protocols ; I have Kermit v2.1.3 and have notice that when using the ibm3151 emulation that when trying to send an ESC X where X is any capital letter, that what gets transmitted is actually the lowercase of the same letter. I ...

  1. Simple ESC sequences send a lowercase letter instead of uppercase when using ibm3151 emulation

    I have Kermit v2.1.3 and have notice that when using the ibm3151
    emulation that when trying to send an ESC X where X is any capital
    letter, that what gets transmitted is actually the lowercase of the
    same letter.

    I was trying to map the Gray Delete key to send \{27}\{81} i.e.
    (ESCQ) which is what a host is expecting to see for DEL as opposed to
    the Kermit default of \{127}. When sending ESCQ what actually gets
    sent on the wire is ESCq with any single letter coming after the ESC
    getting translated to lowercase.

    Any ideas why the case conversion occurs? other emulations I tried
    seem to be fine, but not ibm3151. This occurs with any simple
    uppercase ESC X call thought other more complex calls are fine. An
    attempt to send ESCQQ which transmits as ESCQQ so my workaround right
    now is to map the del to use an artificially complex sequence by adding
    offsetting right and left cursor moves to get it to work.

    set term key ibm3151 /literal \4398 \{27}\{81}\krtarr\klfarr

    Hope this helps someone and perhaps the reason for this can be
    discovered and or fixed should another release of Kermit be issued.
    Hope this helps someone. anyone have any ideas why it happens tho?

    Have a GREAT day!

  2. Re: Simple ESC sequences send a lowercase letter instead of uppercase when using ibm3151 emulation

    :
[...]
    We've known about this bug for some time; it's listed in:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/k95/newbugs.txt

    as Bug #723. As noted there, it is fixed in the next release; which is
    discussed here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95next.html

    A copy of K95 patched to fix this bug is available as described here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/support.html

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread