Kermit 95 dialstatus - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit 95 dialstatus - Protocols ; Hello all - I am a complete newbie to Kermit and have been tooling around with it the past few days trying to write a script that will call a set of numbers and return the status of each. The ...

  1. Kermit 95 dialstatus

    Hello all -

    I am a complete newbie to Kermit and have been tooling around with it
    the past few days trying to write a script that will call a set of
    numbers and return the status of each. The problem I keep running in
    to is the limited information I am getting back from dialstatus. If I
    use the pdial function to dial the numbers, it will return a status 11
    (OK) every time, whether it is a good number or not. If I use the dial
    function, I get a successful BUSY test, but it will return NO ANSWER,
    even if the call was picked up.

    Frank suggested earlier that I read up on the pager example on the
    Kermit website at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/pagers.html, but I run
    into the same problems.

    The absolute bare minimum this script has to accomplish is to be able
    to tell whether a human voice answers the line, whether a triple tone
    is detected, a busy signal, or no answer. Is Kermit capable of this?

    Here is the script I've been testing. Any help or direction would be
    much appreciated:

    #set modem hangup-method modem-command
    set modem type generic-high-speed
    set port com5
    set speed 2400
    set flow rts/cts
    set dial retries 0
    #set dial timeout 30
    set dial display on
    ..number := "99032222222@"

    dial \m(number)
    ..result1 := \v(dialstatus)
    ..result2 := \v(status)
    echo Dial status: \m(result1)
    echo Status: \m(result2)
    pause 2
    hangup

  2. Re: Kermit 95 dialstatus

    On 2006-12-12, Wesley Baker wrote:
    : I am a complete newbie to Kermit and have been tooling around with it
    : the past few days trying to write a script that will call a set of
    : numbers and return the status of each. The problem I keep running in
    : to is the limited information I am getting back from dialstatus. If I
    : use the pdial function to dial the numbers, it will return a status 11
    : (OK) every time, whether it is a good number or not. If I use the dial
    : function, I get a successful BUSY test, but it will return NO ANSWER,
    : even if the call was picked up.
    :
    NO ANSWER is the modem's response when when the phone was not answered by
    another modem and carrier successfully negotiated.

    : Frank suggested earlier that I read up on the pager example on the
    : Kermit website at http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/pagers.html, but I run
    : into the same problems.
    :
    : The absolute bare minimum this script has to accomplish is to be able
    : to tell whether a human voice answers the line, whether a triple tone
    : is detected, a busy signal, or no answer. Is Kermit capable of this?
    :
    That's not a question about Kermit, it's a question about the modem you
    are dialing with. If you dial it by hand, what response codes does it
    produce in each case? All Kermit can do is read the response code and
    act on them if it understands them. If they are new and strange response
    codes, Kermit can be scripted to dial the modem and handle them in any
    desired way.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread