SSH Timeout help - Protocols

This is a discussion on SSH Timeout help - Protocols ; We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3. We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1 hour. Times you out even on active sessions. I'm having problems finding an SSH setting that relates to that. Been ...

  1. SSH Timeout help

    We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3.
    We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1 hour.
    Times you out even on active sessions.
    I'm having problems finding an SSH setting that relates to that.

    Been looking around as to how to fix that. The Set Terminal
    Idle-Timeout/Action doesn't seem to have any role in this.

    I was looking at the patch notes (Jeffrey's v2.2), and the answer seems to
    be there. (listed below).
    Any info or clues related to SSH timeouts would be greatly appricated.

    ----------------------------------

    760. NEW FEATURE: SSH Heartbeats to maintain connections through
    NAT/Firewalls

    A new command

    SET SSH HEARTBEAT-INTERVAL

    has been added to the next release to allow the SSH to be maintained
    during long idle periods. This is similar to the

    SET TERMINAL IDLE-ACTION TELNET-NOP
    SET TERMINAL IDLE-TIMEOUT

    which can be used to preserve TELNET connections without actually
    sending data to the host applications.

  2. Re: SSH Timeout help

    On 2006-11-08, Scott Caissie wrote:
    : We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3.
    : We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1 hour.
    : Times you out even on active sessions.
    : I'm having problems finding an SSH setting that relates to that.
    :
    There isn't one in version 2.1.3.

    : Been looking around as to how to fix that. The Set Terminal
    : Idle-Timeout/Action doesn't seem to have any role in this.
    :
    For the present, you can use SET TERMINAL IDLE-ACTION OUTPUT xxx for this,
    together with a suitable SET TERMINAL IDLE-TIMEOUT. xxx would be one
    or more characters that is/are likely to be ignored by or at least relatively
    harmless to whatever application is running on the host. Such as a Space
    or a Nul character.

    : I was looking at the patch notes (Jeffrey's v2.2), and the answer seems to
    : be there. (listed below). Any info or clues related to SSH timeouts would
    : be greatly appricated.
    :
    SET SSH HEARTBEAT-INTERVAL will indeed be in the next release.

    I have been working almost nonstop for more than year to get authorization
    for this release. It so happens that we are at a critical juncture in the
    negotiations right now. (I'm not talking about Jeff, this is internal
    university stuff.) Some words of encouragement from institutional or
    corporate clients as to the value of K95 to their organizations, and its
    continued viability through the next 3-5 years could be helpful in this
    connection.

    Address these directly to me if you wish to keep them private.

    - Frank
    fdc@columbia.edu

  3. Re: SSH Timeout help

    On 2006-11-08, Scott Caissie wrote:
    : We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3.
    : We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1 hour.
    : Times you out even on active sessions.
    :
    Addressing this one sepately... Who/what is closing the session? Obviously
    it's not Kermit. It's either the host you're ssh'd to, or it's a NAT or
    router or somesuch in between. I use K95 SSH all day every day and have never
    seen a problem like this, but then I'm not dealing with firewalls or NATs
    either. You should begin by finding out where this 1-hour timer is set.
    Maybe the place where this occurs does not care if the session is idle,
    it's simply an elapsed-time limit on the session. But it's not in Kermit.

    - Frank

  4. Re: SSH Timeout help

    Frank Da Cruz wrote:
    > Addressing this one sepately... Who/what is closing the session? Obviously
    > it's not Kermit. It's either the host you're ssh'd to, or it's a NAT or
    > router or somesuch in between.

    I use K95 SSH all day as well, with many sessions open.
    Some of the sessions stay open for days with no activity.
    Two of the sessions consistently close during a period of inactivity.
    One is to a ksh prompt on a Unix server that is supposed to be very
    secure, and probably has various timeouts set.

    The other is out through a firewall.

    In both cases, I have little reason to suspect that it is kermit, since
    connecting to the outside server from the outside, without going through
    the firewall, can sit idle for hours.

    In both cases, I think it is aggressive "security" tuning by the same
    network admins.

    --
    ---

  5. Re: SSH Timeout help

    Frank da Cruz wrote, On 2006-11-09 08:50:
    > On 2006-11-08, Scott Caissie wrote:
    > : We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3.
    > : We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1 hour.
    > : Times you out even on active sessions.
    > : I'm having problems finding an SSH setting that relates to that.
    > :
    > There isn't one in version 2.1.3.
    >
    > : Been looking around as to how to fix that. The Set Terminal
    > : Idle-Timeout/Action doesn't seem to have any role in this.
    > :
    > For the present, you can use SET TERMINAL IDLE-ACTION OUTPUT xxx for this,
    > together with a suitable SET TERMINAL IDLE-TIMEOUT. xxx would be one
    > or more characters that is/are likely to be ignored by or at least relatively
    > harmless to whatever application is running on the host. Such as a Space
    > or a Nul character.
    >
    > : I was looking at the patch notes (Jeffrey's v2.2), and the answer seems to
    > : be there. (listed below). Any info or clues related to SSH timeouts would
    > : be greatly appricated.
    > :
    > SET SSH HEARTBEAT-INTERVAL will indeed be in the next release.
    >
    > I have been working almost nonstop for more than year to get authorization
    > for this release. It so happens that we are at a critical juncture in the
    > negotiations right now. (I'm not talking about Jeff, this is internal
    > university stuff.) Some words of encouragement from institutional or
    > corporate clients as to the value of K95 to their organizations, and its
    > continued viability through the next 3-5 years could be helpful in this
    > connection.

    "Preaching from the choir" here but having K95 available for Windows XX
    with all its features (e.g. from scripting that is compatible with
    C-Kermit scripting to more obscure security options like SRP over SSH)
    is a great way not to get trapped in Windows.

    > Address these directly to me if you wish to keep them private.
    >
    > - Frank
    > fdc@columbia.edu

    Arthur.

  6. Re: SSH Timeout help

    The 1 hour issue is what we're trying to track down. Didn't occur until we
    upgraded the logon security.
    We've got a number of clues from various tests. Could be network, or server,
    related and not Kermit as a client related.
    Relavent commands we have so far that worked fine before:
    Set Terminal Idle-Timeout 0
    Set Terminal Idle-Action Return

    But this feedback does help eliminate K95 as the cause. But if so, then
    perhaps the patch fix won't help in this regard.

    - Scott

    "Frank Da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2006-11-08, Scott Caissie wrote:
    > : We just moved over to SSH. Using K95 2.1.3.
    > : We are now suddenly having issues with idle timeouts. Specifically 1
    > hour.
    > : Times you out even on active sessions.
    > :
    > Addressing this one sepately... Who/what is closing the session?
    > Obviously
    > it's not Kermit. It's either the host you're ssh'd to, or it's a NAT or
    > router or somesuch in between. I use K95 SSH all day every day and have
    > never
    > seen a problem like this, but then I'm not dealing with firewalls or NATs
    > either. You should begin by finding out where this 1-hour timer is set.
    > Maybe the place where this occurs does not care if the session is idle,
    > it's simply an elapsed-time limit on the session. But it's not in Kermit.
    >
    > - Frank

+ Reply to Thread