Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windowsconnected serial devices - Protocols

This is a discussion on Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windowsconnected serial devices - Protocols ; Hello, I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines with some version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy ...

  1. Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windowsconnected serial devices

    Hello,

    I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines with some
    version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with
    their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy of MS Kermit
    3.16.

    My mskermit.ini file on these machines has
    set port 1
    set baud 9600
    PAUSE 2
    REMOTE LOGIN RAIS
    PAUSE 2
    GET datafile
    PAUSE 2
    GET datafile1
    EXIT

    till I have all the files.

    I thought I could use kermit via ssh to talk to the machines and directly
    transfer the files. Did not work. I then setup cygwin and copSSH. I am
    able to ssh to the machines and then I use scp to copy a mskermit.ini with
    the commands I need it to run. I then am able to

    ssh 192.168.0.200
    cd /directory/files
    ../kermit

    and all the files are downloaded to the machine and I am able to scp them
    to the remote box or use scp on the remote box to get the files after
    kermit has run. But I am not able to get my scripts to remotely run
    kermit to download and then scp the files.

    When I try to run ssh -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit

    user@192.168.5.200's password:
    IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.

    Type ? or HELP for help

    MS-Kermit>^A^A^A
    ?Text exceeded available buffer capacity
    MS-Kermit>

    And I am back at the prompt on the remote box and it has not run the
    mskermit.ini file.

    There has to be a way with either kermit-kermit-serial port transfer files
    or via ssh and run the kermit on the MS Windows machines and then scp the
    files. The only step I have been uable to get working is to run kermit
    remotely and get the files to the MS machine. Any ideas. I know I have
    done this in the past but I can not seem to remember how and all my
    googleing has not brought up a solutions. Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  2. Re: Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windows connected serial devices

    Hi Boyd.

    On 2006-10-17, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    : Hello,
    :
    : I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines with some
    : version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with
    : their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy of MS Kermit
    : 3.16.
    :
    For the record: MS-DOS Kermit is just plain not supported on Windows XP. It
    was never intended for that platform. Kermit 95 is the supported Kermit
    software for Windows 95 and later.

    Whoever is selling software package for Windows 95 or later that includes
    MS-DOS Kermit instead of Kermit 95, purchased or not, is selling a
    misconfigured and mostly likely nonfunctional package.

    But if the serial-port access works OK (which can happen only on certain
    hardware configurations), fine.

    : I thought I could use kermit via ssh to talk to the machines and directly
    : transfer the files. Did not work. I then setup cygwin and copSSH. I am
    : able to ssh to the machines and then I use scp to copy a mskermit.ini with
    : the commands I need it to run. I then am able to
    :
    : ssh 192.168.0.200
    : cd /directory/files
    : ./kermit
    : ...
    :
    : and all the files are downloaded to the machine and I am able to scp them
    : to the remote box or use scp on the remote box to get the files after
    : kermit has run. But I am not able to get my scripts to remotely run
    : kermit to download and then scp the files.
    :
    : When I try to run ssh -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit
    :
    : user@192.168.5.200's password:
    : IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    : Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.
    :
    : Type ? or HELP for help
    :
    : MS-Kermit>^A^A^A
    : ?Text exceeded available buffer capacity
    : MS-Kermit>
    :
    Why don't you use Kermit as your ssh client. Then you can script it
    to make the connection to the Windows ssh server, start MS-DOS Kermit
    and interact with it, and then use Kermit protocol to transfer files
    back to where you want them. It's a two-step process but it can all be
    done in a single script.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ssh.html

    - Frank

  3. Re: Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windows connected serial devices

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2006-10-17, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    ..> : I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines
    with some
    > : version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with
    > : their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy of MS Kermit
    > : 3.16.
    > :
    > For the record: MS-DOS Kermit is just plain not supported on Windows XP. It
    > was never intended for that platform. Kermit 95 is the supported Kermit
    > software for Windows 95 and later.

    They were purchased around the year 2000. +/- a year or two.

    > But if the serial-port access works OK (which can happen only on certain
    > hardware configurations), fine.

    They have been using this setup to talk to their registers since
    1992/4. They have used many different version of kermit.

    > : ssh 192.168.0.200
    > : cd /directory/files
    > : ./kermit
    > : ...
    > :
    > : and all the files are downloaded to the machine and I am able to scp them
    > : to the remote box or use scp on the remote box to get the files after
    > : kermit has run. But I am not able to get my scripts to remotely run
    > : kermit to download and then scp the files.
    > :

    I know kermit can use ssh, So I get the same thing. But to eliminate
    scripting errors..

    On linux I type kermit

    linux-aostester:/zenez/work # kermit
    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for Linux
    Copyright (C) 1985, 2004,
    Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
    Type ? or HELP for help.
    (/zenez/work/) C-Kermit>

    ssh boyd@192.168.5.200
    Closing connection
    Connecting via command "ssh -e none boyd@192.168.5.200"
    Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    or followed by ? to see other options.
    boyd@192.168.5.200's password:
    Last login: Tue Oct 17 12:10:02 2006 from 192.168.5.125

    boyd@pos1 ~
    $ cd c:/kermit/hbboys/backoffice

    boyd@pos1 /cygdrive/c/kermit/hbboys/backoffice
    $ ./kermit
    IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.

    Type ? or HELP for help

    MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999 patch level 0

    File name:
    File type:
    Current path:
    KBytes transferred:

    Number of packets:
    Packet length:
    Number of retries: 0
    Last error:
    Last message:
    Receiving: In progress 113 2
    12 113 2DATA01.SDFTEXT, Transparent to CP43794
    30 451 6789102

    till all the files are done. The same happens with ssh to the machine.

    $ exit
    logout
    Connection to 192.168.5.200 closed.

    Communications disconnect (Back at linux-aostester.aos)
    (/zenez/work/) C-Kermit>ssh boyd@192.168.5.200
    c:/kermit/hbboys/backoffice/kermit
    Closing connection
    Connecting via command "ssh -e none boyd@192.168.5.200
    c:/kermit/hbboys/backoffice/kermit"
    Escape character: Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS): enabled
    Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
    or followed by ? to see other options.
    boyd@192.168.5.200's password:
    IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.

    Type ? or HELP for help

    MS-Kermit>^A^A^A
    ?Text exceeded available buffer capacity
    MS-Kermit>
    Communications disconnect (Back at linux-aostester.aos)
    (/zenez/work/) C-Kermit>

    So I really did not gain anything. It does not matter whether I use
    ssh or kermit to talk to the machine I always get the same ...

    > :When I try to run ssh -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit
    > :
    > : user@192.168.5.200's password:
    > : IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    > : Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.
    > :
    > : Type ? or HELP for help
    > :
    > : MS-Kermit>^A^A^A
    > : ?Text exceeded available buffer capacity
    > : MS-Kermit>
    > :
    > Why don't you use Kermit as your ssh client. Then you can script it
    > to make the connection to the Windows ssh server, start MS-DOS Kermit
    > and interact with it, and then use Kermit protocol to transfer files
    > back to where you want them. It's a two-step process but it can all be
    > done in a single script.

    I tried and I still have the same problem. That is why I thought I
    should eliminate kermit ssh to kermit. Some of these machine are still
    running DOS with ancient ssh 1 server. I am trying to get them to
    replace upgrade all the machines. They will not give up MS OS's on
    these machines. I have almost convinced them to buy new machines and
    Kermit 95, but they insiston my proving to them over a 90 day test
    trial that updated Kermit will work. I see that I can only get a 21
    day test trial. Unfortunately on the machine I have available I
    demo-ed kermit 95 a year ago and I can not get a new installation to
    work. I removed Kermit 95 7 days before the trial was over but I guess
    something stays on the machine so I am unable to try it to see if just
    replacing the MS Kermit with Kermit 95 will work. They also have the
    90 demo mandated. All have the exact same problem trying to automate
    them. My original intention was to use kermit for everything. I have
    to talk to about 30 different locations all connected via CISCO VPN's

    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ssh.html

    Thanks,

    Boyd Gerber
    gerberb@zenez.com

  4. Re: Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windows connected serial devices

    gerberb@zenez.com wrote:
    > Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > > On 2006-10-17, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    > .> : I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines
    > with some
    > > : version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with
    > > : their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy of MS Kermit
    > > : 3.16.
    > > :
    > > For the record: MS-DOS Kermit is just plain not supported on Windows XP. It
    > > was never intended for that platform. Kermit 95 is the supported Kermit
    > > software for Windows 95 and later.

    > They were purchased around the year 2000. +/- a year or two.
    >
    > > But if the serial-port access works OK (which can happen only on certain
    > > hardware configurations), fine.

    k95 errors and dies every time.

    On the REMOTE LOGIN RAIS

    k95 wants to send an error report to Microsoft. I am unable to
    establish a remote connection.

    On the sysetm

    I enter k95
    I always have to enter try.

    I am unable to even run it from kermit on linux. Given what I am
    seeing I would avoid Kermit 95 like the plague.

  5. Re: Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windowsconnected serial devices

    gerberb@zenez.com wrote:
    > gerberb@zenez.com wrote:
    >> Frank da Cruz wrote:
    >>> On 2006-10-17, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

    >> .> : I can not seem to remember how I used to do this. The machines
    >> with some
    >>> : version of MS Windows, most have Windows XP. I use kermit to talk with
    >>> : their store registers. The machines have a purchased copy of MS Kermit
    >>> : 3.16.
    >>> :
    >>> For the record: MS-DOS Kermit is just plain not supported on Windows XP. It
    >>> was never intended for that platform. Kermit 95 is the supported Kermit
    >>> software for Windows 95 and later.

    >> They were purchased around the year 2000. +/- a year or two.
    >>
    >>> But if the serial-port access works OK (which can happen only on certain
    >>> hardware configurations), fine.

    > k95 errors and dies every time.
    >
    > On the REMOTE LOGIN RAIS
    >
    > k95 wants to send an error report to Microsoft. I am unable to
    > establish a remote connection.
    >
    > On the sysetm
    >
    > I enter k95
    > I always have to enter try.
    >
    > I am unable to even run it from kermit on linux. Given what I am
    > seeing I would avoid Kermit 95 like the plague.

    I doubt that you can do what you want with Kermit 95. You are
    trying to run an ssh server on Windows and execute Kermit 95 as a
    subprocess of the ssh server and use it as if it were a remote kermit
    file transfer engine. That is not what Kermit 95 is designed to do.
    Kermit 95 assumes it has control over a GUI window or a Console window.
    Under the ssh server it has neither. I'm not surprised it crashes.
    I wouldn't waste my time with it either under this scenario.

    If you are using the cygwin ssh server even more so because the cygwin
    environment is a bit special. You really need to run programs compiled
    with the cygwin runtime under the cygwin ssh server.

    If I were you I would compile gkermit under cygwin and use that under
    the ssh kermit.

    Kermit 95 is a perfectly good ssh client but it should not be used
    on the server side.

    Jeffrey Altman

  6. Re: Running Kermit 3.16 via copSSH on Windows XP or older Windows connected serial devices

    On 2006-10-18, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
[...]
    Another idea: Do you have to use SSH? If you could use Telnet instead,
    then you could have Kermit 95 on the remote end in its Internet Kermit
    Service guise:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/wiksd.html

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread