Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection. - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection. - Protocols ; Hello, It has been a long time since I have had to do this and I am not doing something right. I have a linux system that uses kermit over the internet to connect to an ms kermit in server ...

  1. Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection.

    Hello,

    It has been a long time since I have had to do this and I am not doing
    something right.

    I have a linux system that uses kermit over the internet to connect to an
    ms kermit in server mode. What I need to do is on the ms kermit get
    files and send them to the main kermit system.

    When on the MS kermit I do the following.

    set port 1
    set baud 9600
    remote login Account
    get data file.name
    exit

    What I need to do is from the internet connect to the ms kermit and run
    the above providing the various file names. I have 100 different files to
    retrieve on 30 different systems. I want one main system to run a script
    and connect to each of the various systems and get/run various commands to
    each of the cash registers that I connect to using the above. Ideally I
    would like to be able to see/detect a change in the files being accessed
    from the MS Kermit.

    I have the MS Kermit in Server mode but it does not want to do the
    commands I am trying to send it. What does work is get files from the
    local drive on the MS kermit machine. I am really sure I have used a
    kermit to kermit connection to do this. Could any one assist with some
    ideas. Usually I script this, but I seem to be missing something.

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  2. Re: Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection.

    :
    : I have a linux system that uses kermit over the internet to connect to an
    : ms kermit in server mode. What I need to do is on the ms kermit get
    : files and send them to the main kermit system.
    :
    : When on the MS kermit I do the following.
    :
    : set port 1
    : set baud 9600
    : remote login Account
    : get data file.name
    : ...
    : exit
    :
[...]
    Let's see if I understand. You have a DOS PC that is on a network.
    You want to make a connection to it over the network from a Linux system
    and then you want the DOS system to make a serial-port connection to
    a third system? I'm not sure I'm seeing the picture. MS-DOS Kermit can
    receive incoming connections over the Internet, e.g. on TCP port 3000:

    set port tcp/ip * 3000

    or it can make connections, but it can't do both at once; that is, it
    can't act as a relay. Is that what you're looking for?

    - Frank

  3. Re: Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection.

    Frank Da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2006-09-27, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > : It has been a long time since I have had to do this and I am not doing
    > : something right.
    > :
    > : I have a linux system that uses kermit over the internet to connect to an
    > : ms kermit in server mode. What I need to do is on the ms kermit get
    > : files and send them to the main kermit system.
    > :
    > : When on the MS kermit I do the following.
    > :
    > : set port 1
    > : set baud 9600
    > : remote login Account
    > : get data file.name
    > : ...
    > : exit

    > Let's see if I understand. You have a DOS PC that is on a network.
    > You want to make a connection to it over the network from a Linux system
    > and then you want the DOS system to make a serial-port connection to
    > a third system? I'm not sure I'm seeing the picture. MS-DOS Kermit can
    > receive incoming connections over the Internet, e.g. on TCP port 3000:
    >
    > set port tcp/ip * 3000
    >
    > or it can make connections, but it can't do both at once; that is, it
    > can't act as a relay. Is that what you're looking for?

    Thanks, that is what I was trying to do. I was trying to do both.

    I setup ssh on the different MS boxes. They had purchased MS Kermit
    3.16.
    I am able to ssh to the box and then after I have scp the mskermit.ini
    file do
    cd c:/kermit/backoffice/
    ../kermit

    And it connects to the port and I am able to get all the files from
    the registers.

    ssh -luser 192.168.0.200
    cd c:/kermit/backoffice/
    ../kermit

    All the text for the files to download.

    but if I use ssh to execute it as a remote command...

    ssh -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit

    gives me this....

    c://kermit/hbboys/backoffice/kermit
    IBM-PC MS-DOS Kermit: 3.16 4 May 1999
    Copyright (C) Trustees of Columbia University 1982, 1999.

    Type ? or HELP for help

    MS-Kermit>^A^A^A
    ?Text exceeded available buffer capacity
    MS-Kermit>

    Instead of the download. Is there something that I can do to get it to
    run via ssh with commands?

    Any ideas? on what I can do to achive this?

    Thanks,

    Boyd Gerber
    gerberb@zenez.com

  4. Re: Kermit - internet - kermit - com port connection.

    gerberb@zenez.com wrote:

    > but if I use ssh to execute it as a remote command...
    >
    > ssh -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit

    Have you tried

    ssh -enone -luser 192.168.0.200 c:/kermit/backoffice/kermit

    --
    (for email use this address please - you can figure it out)

    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net Any clod can have the facts;
    San Francisco Bay Area, California having opinions is an art. -
    C. McCabe, The Fearless Spectator

+ Reply to Thread