"Boot>" prompt from a USR modem. - Protocols

This is a discussion on "Boot>" prompt from a USR modem. - Protocols ; I have a US Robotics internal PCI modem, circa 2000. This is noted in WinXP msinfo as a Modem type: U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI Modem inf section: Modem1008_BABA Matching hardware ID: pci\ven_12b9&dev_1008&subsys_baba12b9&rev_01 This has been working fine, but now, ...

  1. "Boot>" prompt from a USR modem.

    I have a US Robotics internal PCI modem, circa 2000.

    This is noted in WinXP msinfo as a
    Modem type: U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI
    Modem inf section: Modem1008_BABA
    Matching hardware ID: pci\ven_12b9&dev_1008&subsys_baba12b9&rev_01

    This has been working fine, but now, it won't come up as a Tapi modem, and
    if I connect Kermit directly to com3, instead of the messages that "AT"
    used to give, I get some odd messages.

    at
    Boot>
    ati
    83329800
    Boot>
    ati1
    10DE
    Boot>
    ati2
    1.6
    7/4/0
    Boot>
    ati3
    00000000000000000000000000000002
    Boot>
    ati4
    FFFF
    2BAF
    Boot>
    ati5

    AMD, HYUNDAI, INTEL, MICRON, ST, TI

    Boot>

    Dell support says that I need new drivers which they can't talk about
    because I upgraded from WinME to WinXP, and didn't get WinXP from them.

    I thought this looked more like an aborted firmware load, and would like to
    reflash firmware, but since it is a Dell-OEM modem, I can't locate any
    downloads at USR/3com for it, and Dell won't talk about it.

    Is this a Winmodem with bad drivers, a bad flash that I might be able to
    reload, or should I just give up and get a new modem?

    I don't use the modem very often at all. The only reason I even noticed
    is that it got stuck in an initialization loop and slowed the computer down
    horribly. svchost.exe was consuming 98% of CPU.

    --
    ---

  2. Re: "Boot>" prompt from a USR modem.

    dold@xxbootxxxp.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > I have a US Robotics internal PCI modem, circa 2000.
    >
    > This is noted in WinXP msinfo as a
    > Modem type: U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI
    > Modem inf section: Modem1008_BABA
    > Matching hardware ID: pci\ven_12b9&dev_1008&subsys_baba12b9&rev_01
    >
    > This has been working fine, but now, it won't come up as a Tapi modem, and
    > if I connect Kermit directly to com3, instead of the messages that "AT"
    > used to give, I get some odd messages.

    [...]
    > Dell support says that I need new drivers which they can't talk about
    > because I upgraded from WinME to WinXP, and didn't get WinXP from them.
    >
    > I thought this looked more like an aborted firmware load, and would like to
    > reflash firmware, but since it is a Dell-OEM modem, I can't locate any
    > downloads at USR/3com for it, and Dell won't talk about it.
    >
    > Is this a Winmodem with bad drivers, a bad flash that I might be able to
    > reload, or should I just give up and get a new modem?
    >
    > I don't use the modem very often at all. The only reason I even noticed
    > is that it got stuck in an initialization loop and slowed the computer down
    > horribly. svchost.exe was consuming 98% of CPU.

    You should start looking at: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/comm/2513e/
    Is it your modem?

    I guess (I do not own that modem as I am using NetBSD and OpenBSD
    exclusively on all my Dell computers) that you can use the "ATGM"
    command to exit the "Boot>" prompt and return to the normal mode.

    Cheers,
    Igor.

  3. Re: "Boot>" prompt from a USR modem.

    Igor Sobrado wrote:
    > dold@xxbootxxxp.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > > I have a US Robotics internal PCI modem, circa 2000.
    > > This is noted in WinXP msinfo as a
    > > Modem type: U.S. Robotics 56K Voice PCI

    > You should start looking at:
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/comm/2513e/ Is it your modem?

    Looks like it, but no help there about the "Boot>" mode.
    I really didn't even know if it was a WinModem. I'm only running Windows
    on this box, it came pre-installed, and it works with various programs,
    including Kermit.

    > I guess (I do not own that modem as I am using NetBSD and OpenBSD
    > exclusively on all my Dell computers) that you can use the "ATGM"
    > command to exit the "Boot>" prompt and return to the normal mode.

    Aha!
    atgm
    Modem Code Corrupt

    ERROR

    That message looks like a firmware flash would help.
    I'm trying to get Dell to tell me if there is a firmware flash available,
    or if I should just throw this modem away and get a new modem.

    -- thanks.

    --
    ---

  4. Re: "Boot>" prompt from a USR modem.

    dold@xrexxxboot.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > Igor Sobrado wrote:
    >
    >> You should start looking at:
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/comm/2513e/ Is it your modem?

    > Looks like it, but no help there about the "Boot>" mode.
    > I really didn't even know if it was a WinModem. I'm only running Windows
    > on this box, it came pre-installed, and it works with various programs,
    > including Kermit.

    I was only looking for a confirmation on the modem you are using. I
    believe that you have a winmodem, these are not very bad news in your
    case, though, as you have a "software" problem. But I am not sure,
    as Unix user I never managed winmodems.

    >> I guess (I do not own that modem as I am using NetBSD and OpenBSD
    >> exclusively on all my Dell computers) that you can use the "ATGM"
    >> command to exit the "Boot>" prompt and return to the normal mode.

    > Aha!
    > atgm
    > Modem Code Corrupt
    >
    > ERROR
    >
    > That message looks like a firmware flash would help.
    > I'm trying to get Dell to tell me if there is a firmware flash available,
    > or if I should just throw this modem away and get a new modem.

    My suggestion is reading this URL: http://www.modemsite.com/56k/flashback.asp

    In the case of U.S. Robotics modems, there are three methods
    to flash firmware (to hardware modems!!!). In the case of winmodems
    you should try either flashing them again (if these devices have
    an EEPROM that can be reflashed) or reinstalling the software.

    Good luck!

    Igor.

+ Reply to Thread