Unix Async Server - Protocols

This is a discussion on Unix Async Server - Protocols ; I am having difficulties transferring files to a Unix Async Server using Kermit 95 2.1.3 and any assistance would really be appreciated. Here is the situation: I connect to two separate Unix Async Servers and attempt to upload at least ...

  1. Unix Async Server

    I am having difficulties transferring files to a Unix Async Server
    using Kermit 95 2.1.3 and any assistance would really be appreciated.

    Here is the situation:
    I connect to two separate Unix Async Servers and attempt to upload at
    least 3 files a week. From time to time I can transfer files correctly
    but the odds of that happening are not good. I tried using the TAPI
    configurations in K95 to control the connection process but I must
    still be missing something since the transmission soon after the file
    transfer starts. I also tried to not use TAPI configuration at all and
    let K95 to control the connection. Unfortunately, that does not work
    either.

    Nothing to brag about but I can transfer the files successfully using
    HyperTerminal. Why would I be able to transmit the file using HT but
    not K95? This is the only server style that I am having difficulties
    transferring files to. I should also mention that I can receive files
    from the same servers without a problem.

    At this time I cannot be sure that it is the general connection and not
    some other configuration.

    Again any assistance in the problem would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: Unix Async Server

    :
    : Here is the situation:
    : I connect to two separate Unix Async Servers and attempt to upload at
    : least 3 files a week.
    :
    Using Kermit protocol?

    : From time to time I can transfer files correctly
    : but the odds of that happening are not good. I tried using the TAPI
    : configurations in K95 to control the connection process but I must
    : still be missing something since the transmission soon after the file
    : transfer starts. I also tried to not use TAPI configuration at all and
    : let K95 to control the connection. Unfortunately, that does not work
    : either.
    :
    Are you using a modem, or is it a direct connection?

    What does "show communications" say about flow control? You should be
    using RTS/CTS if the modem supports it, or if it is a direct connection,
    if the async server supports it and your cable is a true Null Modem cable
    with its RTS and CTS wires crossed.

    : Nothing to brag about but I can transfer the files successfully using
    : HyperTerminal. Why would I be able to transmit the file using HT but
    : not K95?
    :
    Because Hyperterminal always uses the slowest possible Kermit protocol
    configuration -- short packets, no sliding windows, etc. You can test
    this theory by giving the "robust" command to Kermit before uploading.
    This tells Kermit to use very short packets and disables sliding windows,
    among other things, making it sort of like HyperTerminal.

    But better to get best kind of flow control enabled. RTS/CTS is best,
    if the cable and the other devices support it too, otherwise Xon/Xoff.
    The device or computer to which Kermit is directly connected (either
    the modem or the async server) must be configured for the same kind of
    flow control.

    If this doesn't help, then the next question would be: exactly what is
    the async server, and what software are you running on it to receive
    the files?

    - Frank

  3. Re: Unix Async Server

    Sorry I was not able to respond till now, I really appreciate your help
    in this matter.

    > Using Kermit protocol?

    Unfortunately I am only able to use Zmodem protocol

    > Are you using a modem, or is it a direct connection?

    I am using a modem.

    > What does "show communications" say about flow control?

    Flow Control is set to Auto. Should RTS/CTS or Xon/Xoff be specified or
    does K95 choose the best flow control available?

    Thank you
    ~Malone

  4. Re: Unix Async Server

    On 2006-09-11, malone wrote:
    : Sorry I was not able to respond till now, I really appreciate your help
    : in this matter.
    :
    :> Using Kermit protocol?
    : Unfortunately I am only able to use Zmodem protocol
    :
    :> Are you using a modem, or is it a direct connection?
    : I am using a modem.
    :
    :> What does "show communications" say about flow control?
    : Flow Control is set to Auto. Should RTS/CTS or Xon/Xoff be specified or
    : does K95 choose the best flow control available?
    :
    AUTO means Kermit will try to do that if it thinks the modem supports it.
    But that depends on whatever "knowledge base" Kermit is using, and what
    kind of modem it thinks it is. If the modem indeed supports RTS/CTS
    (as every modern modem does), it can't hurt to set that explicitly in
    Kermit:

    set flow rts/cts

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread