MSI packaged version of K95 - Protocols

This is a discussion on MSI packaged version of K95 - Protocols ; Hi, Kermit 95 is currently used throughout the company I work for. One thing I've been looking at recently is rolling out software via group policy. I would be interested to know if the developers of Kermit would consider packaging ...

  1. MSI packaged version of K95

    Hi,

    Kermit 95 is currently used throughout the company I work for. One thing
    I've been looking at recently is rolling out software via group policy. I
    would be interested to know if the developers of Kermit would consider
    packaging into a msi install file. Expensive programs such as installsheild
    isn't required. You can use WiX to achieve this. A good tutorial on this can
    be found at: http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/

    Futher information and downloads:

    http://wix.sourceforge.net/

    Useful editor:

    http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/

    I've used it myself to create a few simple packages for various settings and
    shortcuts etc that we like to have installed on our pcs.

    Thanks for any replies,

    Simon Porter
    Heber Ltd

  2. Re: MSI packaged version of K95

    Simon Porter wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Kermit 95 is currently used throughout the company I work for. One thing
    > I've been looking at recently is rolling out software via group policy. I
    > would be interested to know if the developers of Kermit would consider
    > packaging into a msi install file. Expensive programs such as installsheild
    > isn't required. You can use WiX to achieve this. A good tutorial on this can
    > be found at: http://www.tramontana.co.hu/wix/
    >
    > Futher information and downloads:
    >
    > http://wix.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Useful editor:
    >
    > http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > I've used it myself to create a few simple packages for various settings and
    > shortcuts etc that we like to have installed on our pcs.
    >
    > Thanks for any replies,
    >
    > Simon Porter
    > Heber Ltd

    I use WIX and NSIS to develop the install packages for MIT Kerberos for
    Windows and OpenAFS for Windows. If I were ever to develop another
    release of Kermit 95 for Columbia University to distribute I would in
    fact use WIX to develop an MSI installer for it.

    My suggestion for you would be to install K95 on one machine and then
    develop your own installer for it based upon the pieces that were
    installed on your machine. One of the strong benefits of using MSIs
    are that in addition to automated installation and upgrades via Group
    Policy it is possible to apply organization specific transforms to them
    to ensure that your own custom dialer entries and scripts are installed
    on the machine along with the application.

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

+ Reply to Thread