Kermit newsgroup, etc - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit newsgroup, etc - Protocols ; Columbia University is retiring its newsfeeds effective Monday, 17 July 2006. This means: . The newsgroup archives on our FTP site will stop there, in case anybody cares. ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/newsgroups . I'll be using Google Groups from now on to both ...

  1. Kermit newsgroup, etc

    Columbia University is retiring its newsfeeds effective Monday,
    17 July 2006. This means:

    . The newsgroup archives on our FTP site will stop there,
    in case anybody cares.

    ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/newsgroups

    . I'll be using Google Groups from now on to both read and post,
    as I suppose most of you already do. Therefore I might not
    notice some queries as "instantaneously" as before. And we
    will all have to put up with the fractured formatting that
    results from Google trying to squeeze content designed for 76
    columns (as in this carefully-formatted posting) in the narrow
    space between all its ads and navigation tools(*). The Kermit
    newsgroup is here:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?grou...ls.kermit.misc

    and up til now Google has been good about archiving; let's
    hope they don't pull the plug on netnews as well.

    (*) It looks a little better if you maximize your browser window.

    Meanwhile, in case anybody tried the "photoalbum" script announced
    recently with C-Kermit 8.0.212 Dev.20 and found it wanting in
    certain areas, I've made some improvements. E.g. Now it can have
    three levels of images: thumbnail, browser-sized, and full-size.
    Each page behind the thumbnails shows the image pre-reduced to
    fit in the average browser window, so the browser doesn't have to
    download the full-size image (painful on slow connections) and
    then scale it. If you click on this one, THEN you get the big one.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/photoalbum.html
    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html
    http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/museum/

    Quiz: what are all those things in the pictures?

    The script actually pretty useful, at least it save *me* a lot of
    time. All the resizing, including production of thumbnails, by
    the way, depends on ImageMagick 'convert':

    http://www.imagemagick.org/script/co...processing.php

    which is available for both Unix and Windows (I haven't tried it
    myself on Windows, so the script might need some adjustment; if
    anybody does this, let me know).

    Coming soon... CGI Programming in Kermit!

    - Frank

  2. Re: Kermit newsgroup, etc

    Frank,

    why don't you install a tiny little news feed (privately) that only
    pulls the c.p.k.* groups and nothing else, and archive from there?

    Never mind reading news on google.

    on 7/13/06 9:40 PM Frank da Cruz said the following:
    > Columbia University is retiring its newsfeeds effective Monday,
    > 17 July 2006. This means:
    >
    > . The newsgroup archives on our FTP site will stop there,
    > in case anybody cares.
    >
    > ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/newsgroups

    el
    --
    If you want to email me, replace nospam with el

  3. Re: Kermit newsgroup, etc

    in comp.protocols.kermit.misc i read:

    > . I'll be using Google Groups from now on to both read and post,
    > as I suppose most of you already do.

    sad news indeed -- either part.

    --
    a signature