Re: Serial File Transfer Script - Protocols

This is a discussion on Re: Serial File Transfer Script - Protocols ; On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:26:13 -0700, jrz126 wrote: > I'm currently working on a simulator at work and I need a way to > transfer files over the serial port. I believe the panel being > simulated is running ...

  1. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:26:13 -0700, jrz126 wrote:

    > I'm currently working on a simulator at work and I need a way to
    > transfer files over the serial port. I believe the panel being
    > simulated is running QNX and I'm connecting to it from a linux box.
    > The linux box is running labview, and I'd like to be able to run a
    > script (or use labview directly) to send the files.
    > I'm able to transfer files to the panel from the linux box (using
    > minicom or similar program), but it requires user input.
    > I believe that I have to use the Zmodem protocol. I tried all of the
    > others using hyperterminal on a windows box.
    >
    > Your help will be greatly appreciated.

    I would use c-kermit for something like this. One can get it from Columbia
    University's The Kermit Project at . No,
    c-kermit is not OSS nor does it have an OSS license. But it is "free" to
    download and use anyway. If one wants the manual for the esoteric commands
    in c-kermit then that costs money and can be had from the same URL above.

    Cross-posted to comp.protocols.kermit.misc group.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    14:58:30 up 15 days, 1:45, 8 users, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.08
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

  2. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    ERACC enlightened us with:
    > I would use c-kermit for something like this. [...] No, c-kermit is
    > not OSS nor does it have an OSS license. But it is "free" to
    > download and use anyway. If one wants the manual for the esoteric
    > commands in c-kermit then that costs money and can be had from the
    > same URL above.

    Why would you use c-kermit while tar is free, well documented, and
    works just as well?

    Sybren
    Frank Zappa

  3. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 22:36:07 +0200, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]

    If I had wanted a "followup-to" on my posted subthread I would have put
    one. Please don't do that. The discussion of c-kermit in this case is
    relevant in both groups.

    > ERACC enlightened us with:
    >> I would use c-kermit for something like this. [...] No, c-kermit is
    >> not OSS nor does it have an OSS license. But it is "free" to
    >> download and use anyway. If one wants the manual for the esoteric
    >> commands in c-kermit then that costs money and can be had from the
    >> same URL above.

    > Why would you use c-kermit while tar is free, well documented, and
    > works just as well?

    Sybren my Brother, c-kermit is "free" to use. One only has to pay
    something if one needs or wants the extensive, hard-copy manual for
    c-kermit.

    I am recommending an application I /know/ works to reliably transfer data
    over a serial connection. I have used c-kermit for almost 20 years to do
    just that. I have /never/ used tar to transfer data over a serial
    connection. What I /have/ done with tar is create an archive file and then
    transfer that file over a serial connection with c-kermit.

    To the OP: one can use zmodem with c-kermit. There have been discussions
    of this posted to USENET in the past. This Google Groups search I did for
    you should show those: . You can also ask for
    more information about this in the comp.protocols.kermit.misc group.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    11:22:49 up 15 days, 22:09, 8 users, load average: 0.30, 0.37, 0.24
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/ <- get VOIP here!
    eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare resellers

  4. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    In comp.protocols.kermit.misc ERACC wrote:
    > I am recommending an application I /know/ works to reliably transfer data
    > over a serial connection. I have used c-kermit for almost 20 years to do
    > just that. I have /never/ used tar to transfer data over a serial
    > connection. What I /have/ done with tar is create an archive file and then
    > transfer that file over a serial connection with c-kermit.

    There was a program that created file-tree scripts so that you could
    transfer the list of files via kermit. I used to back up my Windows PC to
    a Unix box over a local serial link that way.

    Now I think a send /recursive probably eliminates that step, or tar to a
    kermit stream, to a tar file on the remote side, for a familar archive.

    20 years? Yes, about that. Maybe 22. Seems to me that it was MSKermit
    3.something, so I guess there were others using it before I found it ;-)

    --
    ---

  5. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    dold@XReXXSeria.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > In comp.protocols.kermit.misc ERACC wrote:
    >> I am recommending an application I /know/ works to reliably transfer data
    >> over a serial connection. I have used c-kermit for almost 20 years to do
    >> just that. I have /never/ used tar to transfer data over a serial
    >> connection. What I /have/ done with tar is create an archive file and then
    >> transfer that file over a serial connection with c-kermit.

    > There was a program that created file-tree scripts so that you could
    > transfer the list of files via kermit. I used to back up my Windows PC to
    > a Unix box over a local serial link that way.
    >
    > Now I think a send /recursive probably eliminates that step, or tar to a
    > kermit stream, to a tar file on the remote side, for a familar archive.
    >
    > 20 years? Yes, about that. Maybe 22. Seems to me that it was MSKermit
    > 3.something, so I guess there were others using it before I found it ;-)

    With C-Kermit you can also use CSEND and CRECEIVE to pipe the output of
    command across a connection and pipe the received data into a command.
    Use this with tar | gzip on one end and gzip | tar on the other end.

    Jeffrey Altman

  6. Re: Serial File Transfer Script

    In comp.protocols.kermit.misc Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > dold@XReXXSeria.usenet.us.com wrote:

    > > Now I think a send /recursive probably eliminates that step, or tar to a
    > > kermit stream, to a tar file on the remote side, for a familar archive.

    > With C-Kermit you can also use CSEND and CRECEIVE to pipe the output of
    > command across a connection and pipe the received data into a command.
    > Use this with tar | gzip on one end and gzip | tar on the other end.

    Yeah, like Jeff said ;-)
    That would make it look like a tar had been created and transferred to the
    other side, but wouldn't take up any disk space on the source side.

    I don't particularly like pipe-stream solutions, though. They can't do
    much in the way of retries. A recursive send can fail and restart, either
    externally/script skipping files that had already been sent, or quickly
    processing through files that had already been sent.

    --
    ---