disable the PU2 String - Protocols

This is a discussion on disable the PU2 String - Protocols ; When reading my email via elm text reader on a Unix shell, using K95, I have received some email that has junk in the subject line, possibly maliciously inserted, that messes up my display. I can still operate, but when ...

  1. disable the PU2 String

    When reading my email via elm text reader on a Unix shell, using K95, I
    have received some email that has junk in the subject line, possibly
    maliciously inserted, that messes up my display. I can still operate, but
    when that "text" appears on screen, I no longer have good screen display.

    I noticed that "PU2 String" appears on the K95 status line.
    What can I do to block that? I assume that it is trying to display a
    character set that I don't have, and since I presume it's spam, I would
    rather display harmless junk so I can delete the message and move on.

    ---

  2. Re: disable the PU2 String

    dold@XdisableXt.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > When reading my email via elm text reader on a Unix shell, using K95, I
    > have received some email that has junk in the subject line, possibly
    > maliciously inserted, that messes up my display. I can still operate, but
    > when that "text" appears on screen, I no longer have good screen display.
    >
    > I noticed that "PU2 String" appears on the K95 status line.
    > What can I do to block that? I assume that it is trying to display a
    > character set that I don't have, and since I presume it's spam, I would
    > rather display harmless junk so I can delete the message and move on.

    Select one of the Code Page character sets that doesn't support 8-bit
    controls.

    Jeffrey Altman

  3. Re: disable the PU2 String

    On 2006-05-15, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    : dold@XdisableXt.usenet.us.com wrote:
    :> When reading my email via elm text reader on a Unix shell, using K95, I
    :> have received some email that has junk in the subject line, possibly
    :> maliciously inserted, that messes up my display. I can still operate, but
    :> when that "text" appears on screen, I no longer have good screen display.
    :>
    :
    : Select one of the Code Page character sets that doesn't support 8-bit
    : controls.
    :
    Such as CP1252. For a discussion on this, visit the Kermit newgroup,
    comp.protocols.kermit.misc, in Google News or other news archiver and search
    for the thread "Some K95 Hints" (August 2005).

    Btw, I find it ironic that Google penalizes news posters who follow news
    etiquette and break lines themselves to fit the regular 80-column width.
    Look at almost any news article from the Kermit newsgroup to see what I
    mean.

    - Frank

  4. Re: disable the PU2 String

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > On 2006-05-15, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
    > : dold@XdisableXt.usenet.us.com wrote:
    > :> When reading my email via elm text reader on a Unix shell, using K95, I
    > :> have received some email that has junk in the subject line, possibly

    > : Select one of the Code Page character sets that doesn't support 8-bit
    > : controls.

    > Such as CP1252. For a discussion on this, visit the Kermit newsgroup,
    > comp.protocols.kermit.misc, in Google News or other news archiver and search
    > for the thread "Some K95 Hints" (August 2005).

    [C:\Documents and Settings\default\] K-95> show char

    Transfer Translation: on
    File Character-Set: cp437 (PC Code Page 437), 8-bit
    File Scan: on
    Default 7bit-Character-Set: ascii
    Default 8bit-Character-Set: cp437

    Sorry if I'm dense. If I really don't care about anything that is 8 bit,
    can I force it to stay in "ascii"?

    I didn't save the offending email, so I can't test fixes very handily. I
    think I noticed that my status line, which now has three centered dots and
    the VT220 became three "o" with accent grave yesterday.

    When posting usenet replies, I somtimes find that there are buried 8 bit
    characters in someone else's article, and I strip that with a simple filter
    that might clobber the intelligence, but works just fine for my tastes ;-)

    In the dialer GUI, I selected ascii as my character set, and 7 bit as my
    character size. This results in a .ksc with
    set term bytesize 7
    set term remote-char ascii
    There is a
    set file char cp437
    farther down. Is that a problem?

    I changed that one line to
    set term remote-char CP1252
    if that is what Jeff is referring to.

    > Btw, I find it ironic that Google penalizes news posters who follow news
    > etiquette and break lines themselves to fit the regular 80-column width.
    > Look at almost any news article from the Kermit newsgroup to see what I
    > mean.

    I guess I just ignore oddities like that. It goes away if you select

    ---