output pacing questions - Protocols

This is a discussion on output pacing questions - Protocols ; Whats the default pacing speed? I'm guessing 1 millisecond. Can I turn off the pre-check for pacing speed? When I increase this to a significant number such as 1000-2000 milliseconds, and try to output a string, it waits the full ...

  1. output pacing questions

    Whats the default pacing speed? I'm guessing 1 millisecond.

    Can I turn off the pre-check for pacing speed?
    When I increase this to a significant number such as 1000-2000 milliseconds,
    and try to output a string, it waits the full duration in COMMAND mode for
    the pacing. When I go to CONNECT mode, it takes an equal amount of time to
    output it. I have no problem with the last part. Its suppose to output at a
    certain speed that you specify.
    I just don't get why it does a pre-check on pacing.

    example:
    set output pacing 2000
    output testing123
    its gonna sit for 20 seconds before I get access to the prompt again. Then
    when I go to CONNECT mode, it will do the same thing. How do I turn off the
    pre-checking or whatever this is?

    The main goal was to do a very long task by checking anywhere from 10-200
    articles. I wanted it slow enough as to not cause any errors as to which
    screen it will be on. But the pre-check phase sorta scraped that idea
    entirely.

  2. Re: output pacing questions

    On 2006-05-02, Scott Caissie wrote:
    > Whats the default pacing speed? I'm guessing 1 millisecond.

    Default is no pacing at all. If you "output foo" then "foo" is sent
    as a string.

    > Can I turn off the pre-check for pacing speed?
    > When I increase this to a significant number such as 1000-2000 milliseconds,
    > and try to output a string, it waits the full duration in COMMAND mode for
    > the pacing. When I go to CONNECT mode, it takes an equal amount of time to
    > output it. I have no problem with the last part. Its suppose to output at a
    > certain speed that you specify.
    > I just don't get why it does a pre-check on pacing.
    >
    > example:
    > set output pacing 2000
    > output testing123
    > its gonna sit for 20 seconds before I get access to the prompt again. Then
    > when I go to CONNECT mode, it will do the same thing. How do I turn off the
    > pre-checking or whatever this is?

    This doesn't sound to me like something it's supposed to do. The pacing
    quantity is supposed to apply after each character of the OUTPUT string.
    I did a quick check just now (on an SSH connection):

    set output pacing 1000
    output foo

    This took exactly 3 seconds, as expected.

    > The main goal was to do a very long task by checking anywhere from 10-200
    > articles. I wanted it slow enough as to not cause any errors as to which
    > screen it will be on. But the pre-check phase sorta scraped that idea
    > entirely.

    I guess I don't understand your application, but there are many ways to
    synchronize things. The only purpose for OUTPUT PACING is to prevent data
    overruns on connections that are not properly flow-controlled.

    - Frank

  3. Re: output pacing questions

    After changing the output pacing, I wanted to change it back to the original
    value which is why I wanted to know the default value after it was done its
    task.

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2006-05-02, Scott Caissie wrote:
    >> Whats the default pacing speed? I'm guessing 1 millisecond.
    >>

    > Default is no pacing at all. If you "output foo" then "foo" is sent
    > as a string.
    >
    >> Can I turn off the pre-check for pacing speed?
    >> When I increase this to a significant number such as 1000-2000
    >> milliseconds,
    >> and try to output a string, it waits the full duration in COMMAND mode
    >> for
    >> the pacing. When I go to CONNECT mode, it takes an equal amount of time
    >> output it. I have no problem with the last part. Its suppose to output at
    >> certain speed that you specify.
    >> I just don't get why it does a pre-check on pacing.
    >>
    >> example:
    >> set output pacing 2000
    >> output testing123
    >> its gonna sit for 20 seconds before I get access to the prompt again.
    >> Then
    >> when I go to CONNECT mode, it will do the same thing. How do I turn off
    >> the
    >> pre-checking or whatever this is?
    >>

    > This doesn't sound to me like something it's supposed to do. The pacing
    > quantity is supposed to apply after each character of the OUTPUT string.
    > I did a quick check just now (on an SSH connection):
    >
    > set output pacing 1000
    > output foo
    >
    > This took exactly 3 seconds, as expected.
    >
    >> The main goal was to do a very long task by checking anywhere from 10-200
    >> articles. I wanted it slow enough as to not cause any errors as to which
    >> screen it will be on. But the pre-check phase sorta scraped that idea
    >> entirely.
    >>

    > I guess I don't understand your application, but there are many ways to
    > synchronize things. The only purpose for OUTPUT PACING is to prevent data
    > overruns on connections that are not properly flow-controlled.
    >
    > - Frank

  4. Re: output pacing questions

    On 2006-05-02, Scott Caissie wrote:
    : After changing the output pacing, I wanted to change it back to the original
    : value which is why I wanted to know the default value after it was done its
    : task.
    :
    HELP SET OUTPUT tells the story.

    - Frank