command line option -l not honoured if -y present - Protocols

This is a discussion on command line option -l not honoured if -y present - Protocols ; VMS 7.1 on alpha C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for OpenVMS Alpha I was surprised to see that if the kermit command line has both -y filename and -l device name that the -l option is ignored altogether. Using this ...

  1. command line option -l not honoured if -y present

    VMS 7.1 on alpha
    C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for OpenVMS Alpha

    I was surprised to see that if the kermit command line has both
    -y filename
    and
    -l device name
    that the -l option is ignored altogether.

    Using this script file (test.scr):
    show comm
    echo \&@[0]
    echo \&@[1]
    echo \&@[2]
    echo \&@[3]
    echo \&@[4]
    echo \&@[5]
    echo \&@[6]
    echo \&@[7]
    exit
    and this command line:

    $ kermit -y test.scr -l lta15:

    I see this:

    Communications Parameters:
    Line: SYS$INPUT:, speed: 9600, mode: remote, modem: generic
    Parity: none, duplex: full, flow: xon/xoff, handshake: none
    Carrier-watch: auto, close-on-disconnect: off
    Typical port device name: TXA0:, TTA0:, or LTA0:

    Modem signals unavailable

    Type SHOW DIAL to see DIAL-related items.
    Type SHOW MODEM to see modem-related items.

    omega$dkb100:[cluster.][kermit]ckv209-axp-vms71-ucx41.exe;1
    -y
    test.scr
    -l
    lta15:

    Note that the comm line did *not* get set to LTA15: even though the -l
    command requested that.

    CKV206-AXP-VMS71-NONET behaves similarly.

    Obviously I can work around this in the script file, but I did not
    expect this behaviour. Should I have? I could not find this
    behaviour mentioned in _Using C-Kermit_ (only the first edition, time
    to spend some more money I guess), nor in the online help, nor on the
    website.

    Thanks for the advice.

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (866)438-2101 (voice) toll free!

  2. Re: command line option -l not honoured if -y present

    On 2006-04-26, Rob Brown wrote:
    :
    : VMS 7.1 on alpha
    : C-Kermit 8.0.209, 17 Mar 2003, for OpenVMS Alpha
    :
    : I was surprised to see that if the kermit command line has both
    : -y filename
    : and
    : -l device name
    : that the -l option is ignored altogether.
    : ...
    : Obviously I can work around this in the script file, but I did not
    : expect this behaviour. Should I have? I could not find this
    : behaviour mentioned in _Using C-Kermit_ (only the first edition, time
    : to spend some more money I guess), nor in the online help, nor on the
    : website.
    :
    I don't have a way to check this just now but if it's happening, it's not
    supposed to. (As time goes on, I have fewer machines in house, no VMS here
    any more, and less and less access to computers where I have the privilege to
    assign a serial communication device, let alone dial out on it.) Anyway I'll
    check it. Do you get the same result if you reverse the order of the
    command-line options?

    - Frank

  3. Re: command line option -l not honoured if -y present

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Frank da Cruz wrote:

    > Do you get the same result if you reverse the order of the
    > command-line options?

    Yes, I do. I have since determined that just specifying the script
    file name and -l, as in:

    $ kermit test.scr -l lta15:

    fails in the same way. And if I move "test.scr" to the end of that
    command line, kermit says "invalid command-line option".

    > (As time goes on, I have fewer machines in house, no VMS here any
    > more, and less and less access to computers where I have the
    > privilege to assign a serial communication device, let alone dial
    > out on it.)

    I might be able to set something up for you here. Watch for an e-mail
    from me later today.

    - Rob

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (866)438-2101 (voice) toll free!
    Edmonton (780)438-9343 (voice)
    (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

+ Reply to Thread