question using "set tcp address" - Protocols

This is a discussion on question using "set tcp address" - Protocols ; I am running kermit C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for HP-UX 11.00 Numeric: 800211 I am on a HPUX B.11.23 which has multiple network adapters (physical and virtual) with a different address for each adapter. I also tried on B.11.11 ...

  1. question using "set tcp address"

    I am running kermit

    C-Kermit 8.0.211, 10 Apr 2004, for HP-UX 11.00
    Numeric: 800211

    I am on a HPUX B.11.23 which has multiple network adapters (physical
    and virtual) with a different address for each adapter. I also tried on
    B.11.11 system with the same results.
    The physical address ends in a 192.148.89.11 and I set tcp address
    192.148.89.47
    I ftp to a host and I am still connecting from my physical address of
    192.148.89.11 and I would expect to use 192.148.89.47 because I have
    set tcp address:

    SET TCP parameters:
    Reverse DNS lookup: automatic
    DNS Service Records lookup: off
    Keepalive: on
    Linger: off
    DontRoute: off
    Nodelay: off
    Send buffer: (default size)
    Receive buffer: (default size)
    address: 192.148.89.47
    http-proxy: (none)

    any suggestion?

    Thanks
    David

  2. Re: question using "set tcp address"

    On 2006-04-26, david.bambic@penske.com wrote:
    : I am running kermit
    :
[...]
    I don't have access to any hosts with multiple network adapters so I can't
    troubleshoot this myself. From what you say, it appears you are using the
    SET TCP ADDRESS command as intended:

    SET TCP ADDRESS
    This allows a specific IP Address on a multihomed host to be used
    instead of allowing the TCP/IP stack to choose. This may be necessary
    when using authentication or listening for an incoming connection.
    Specify no to remove the preference.

    Try taking a debug log ("log debug", creates debug.log in current directory)
    to see if it illuminates the problem.

    - Frank

  3. Re: question using "set tcp address"

    I did run it again to produce the debug log. I emailed the debug log
    directly
    to you.

    Thanks
    David

  4. Re: question using "set tcp address"

    On 2006-04-28, david.bambic@penske.com wrote:
    : I did run it again to produce the debug log. I emailed the debug log
    : directly to you.
    :
    Thanks, sorry for the delay.

    The problem is that Kermit's FTP client has its own routine for opening
    TCP connection, rather than using the same routine that is used for Telnet
    and other connection types. The latter takes the TCP ADDRESS setting into
    account, but it seems the FTP code does not. This will need to be fixed;
    I'll add it to my (very long) list.

    In the meantime, if any readers would like to pitch in, the variable
    in question is tcp_address. The way it is used in netopen() in ckcnet.c
    needs to be carried over to ftpopen() in ckcftp.c.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread