serial port forwarding (/dev/ttyS0) over IP/LAN - Protocols

This is a discussion on serial port forwarding (/dev/ttyS0) over IP/LAN - Protocols ; Hello, I have to try to get the serial port (/dev/ttyS0) from the remote PC to locale PC so I can use the remote serial port as if it is from my own (local) PC. The professor told me to ...

  1. serial port forwarding (/dev/ttyS0) over IP/LAN

    Hello,
    I have to try to get the serial port (/dev/ttyS0) from the remote PC to
    locale PC so I can use the remote serial port as if it is from my own
    (local) PC. The professor told me to use ckermit. Unfortunatelly I couldn't
    find any howto about serial portforwarding over IP/LAN/INet. I didn't found
    any german manual for ckermit and I don't know which English search
    expression should I use at google in order to find useful/needed
    information.
    I hope, anyone of you could help me a little bit or tell me, where is good
    howto for my problem.

    Another question... is ckermit a server- or client-programm? As I
    understand, it is a client-programm, so I have to install it on my (local)
    PC in order to use the remote serial port. Am I right? Is it possible to
    use ckermit as server, so the client-user doesn't have to install cserver
    and could use telnet/ssh, huh?

    Server and client are both linux (maybe the professor want the client will
    be linux/windows (or really platform indepentend)).

    cu Floh

  2. Re: serial port forwarding (/dev/ttyS0) over IP/LAN

    On 2006-04-20, Florian Erfurth wrote:
    : Hello,
    : I have to try to get the serial port (/dev/ttyS0) from the remote PC to
    : locale PC so I can use the remote serial port as if it is from my own
    : (local) PC. The professor told me to use ckermit. Unfortunatelly I couldn't
    : find any howto about serial portforwarding over IP/LAN/INet. I didn't found
    : any german manual for ckermit...
    :
    A German edition of the C-Kermit manual was published by Verlag Heinz Heise
    in 1994:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/manuals.html#ckde

    but this predates the feature you are looking for.

    : and I don't know which English search expression should I use at google in
    : order to find useful/needed information. I hope, anyone of you could help
    : me a little bit or tell me, where is good howto for my problem.
    :
    I think the information you want is here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit80.html#x14

    : Another question... is ckermit a server- or client-programm? As I
    : understand, it is a client-programm, so I have to install it on my (local)
    : PC in order to use the remote serial port. Am I right?
    :
    Yes.

    : Is it possible to
    : use ckermit as server, so the client-user doesn't have to install cserver
    : and could use telnet/ssh, huh?
    :
    Not for this purpse.

    : Server and client are both linux (maybe the professor want the client will
    : be linux/windows (or really platform indepentend)).
    :
    Kermit has many functions and options. Depending on what you want to use it
    for, it can be a client, a server, or a programming language. For an overview
    see:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckututor.html

    - Frank

  3. Re: serial port forwarding (/dev/ttyS0) over IP/LAN

    For the serial port forwarding over IP, we use telnetcpcd:

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/telnetcpcd/

    I believe it does exactly what you want, and it was even written with
    Kermit in mind.

+ Reply to Thread