outputting an escape key possible? - Protocols

This is a discussion on outputting an escape key possible? - Protocols ; Escape key as in Alt X or \Kexit. I'm trying to find a way to get a macro to trigger going to the COMMAND window by any feasible means possible. When this occurs, it will resume the rest of the ...

  1. outputting an escape key possible?

    Escape key as in Alt X or \Kexit.

    I'm trying to find a way to get a macro to trigger going to the COMMAND
    window by any feasible means possible. When this occurs, it will resume the
    rest of the coding.

    General:
    CONNECT mode: Macro initiated via \kTest. Sends me to COMMAND.
    COMMAND mode: Runs the macro, and OUTPUTs the information, and CONNECTs but
    isn't complete.
    CONNECT mode: Receives the information. At this point, I want one of the
    commands that was outputted to send me back to COMMAND.

    I tried:
    OUTPUT test\Kexit ; this CONNECTs me.
    OUTPUT test\2168 alt X ; outputted X
    OUTPUT test\2136 alt x ; outputted x

    Planning on trying:
    Maybe TRIGGER? Set the trigger as the output before it gets outputted? I'll
    have to try that out.
    Very briefly looked into APCs... not sure if thats relavent or not.
    Timers or Alarms... I have no idea if they actually work while in CONNECT
    mode. Never used anything of that sort yet.
    Output a macro itself \Ktesting which contains \kexit.... but as I'm
    thinking about that, it'll overwrite the existing macro.

    I'm just brain storming at the moment. I know this macro idea sounds crazy
    and likely very unstable. Regardless I'd like to see if its possible.

  2. Re: outputting an escape key possible?

    Just a few more comments.
    \Kdnarr & \Kuparr can be outputted.
    \Kexit & \Kupscn & \Kdnscn can not be outputted.

    Whats the rule on this? Or how to work around this?

    "Scott Caissie" wrote in message
    newsq2%f.58694$VV4.1080798@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    > Escape key as in Alt X or \Kexit.
    >
    > I'm trying to find a way to get a macro to trigger going to the COMMAND
    > window by any feasible means possible. When this occurs, it will resume
    > the rest of the coding.
    >
    > General:
    > CONNECT mode: Macro initiated via \kTest. Sends me to COMMAND.
    > COMMAND mode: Runs the macro, and OUTPUTs the information, and CONNECTs
    > but isn't complete.
    > CONNECT mode: Receives the information. At this point, I want one of the
    > commands that was outputted to send me back to COMMAND.
    >
    > I tried:
    > OUTPUT test\Kexit ; this CONNECTs me.
    > OUTPUT test\2168 alt X ; outputted X
    > OUTPUT test\2136 alt x ; outputted x
    >
    > Planning on trying:
    > Maybe TRIGGER? Set the trigger as the output before it gets outputted?
    > I'll have to try that out.
    > Very briefly looked into APCs... not sure if thats relavent or not.
    > Timers or Alarms... I have no idea if they actually work while in CONNECT
    > mode. Never used anything of that sort yet.
    > Output a macro itself \Ktesting which contains \kexit.... but as I'm
    > thinking about that, it'll overwrite the existing macro.
    >
    > I'm just brain storming at the moment. I know this macro idea sounds crazy
    > and likely very unstable. Regardless I'd like to see if its possible.

  3. Re: outputting an escape key possible?

    : Just a few more comments.
    :
    : Whats the rule on this? Or how to work around this?
    :
    \Kdnarr and \Kuparr are Kerboard Verbs (Kverbs) that send characters out the
    communication connection. You're not sending the Kverbs themselves, you are
    invoking them and they are doing their jobs.

    \Kexit & \Kupscn & \Kdnscn have actions that are strictly local. They do
    not send characters out the connection; that is why you can't OUTPUT them.
    There is nothing to OUTPUT.

    : "Scott Caissie" wrote in message
    : newsq2%f.58694$VV4.1080798@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    :> Escape key as in Alt X or \Kexit.
    :>
    :> I'm trying to find a way to get a macro to trigger going to the COMMAND
    :> window by any feasible means possible. When this occurs, it will resume
    :> the rest of the coding.
    :
    As noted previously in this newsgroup, there is a bug that inhibits proper
    execution of macros assigned to keystrokes in the current release of K95.
    The only real solution to this problem is to release the next version of
    K95, in which this bug is fixed:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/support.html

    As noted repeatedly, I'm working on arranging for this. It's a bureacratic
    problem, not a technical one.

    - Frank

  4. Re: outputting an escape key possible?

    I'm having a hard time identifying the rule of whats Local and what isn't.
    They all work in both screens.
    \Kexit (alt x) & \Kupscn (alt shift page up) & \Kdnscn (alt shift page down)
    for example.
    \Kdnarr (down arrow) & \Kuparr (up arrow) work in both windows as well, and
    can be outputted.

    Up arrow vs Page up. Down arrow vs Page down.
    The only recognizable difference is single and multiple key presses to
    activate each.

    I don't suppose theres a list of what can be outputted? would save some time
    in trail and error.

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2006-04-20, Scott Caissie wrote:
    > : Just a few more comments.
    > : \Kdnarr & \Kuparr can be outputted.
    > : \Kexit & \Kupscn & \Kdnscn can not be outputted.
    > :
    > : Whats the rule on this? Or how to work around this?
    > :
    > \Kdnarr and \Kuparr are Kerboard Verbs (Kverbs) that send characters out
    > the
    > communication connection. You're not sending the Kverbs themselves, you
    > are
    > invoking them and they are doing their jobs.
    >
    > \Kexit & \Kupscn & \Kdnscn have actions that are strictly local. They do
    > not send characters out the connection; that is why you can't OUTPUT them.
    > There is nothing to OUTPUT.
    >
    > : "Scott Caissie" wrote in message
    > : newsq2%f.58694$VV4.1080798@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
    > :> Escape key as in Alt X or \Kexit.
    > :>
    > :> I'm trying to find a way to get a macro to trigger going to the COMMAND
    > :> window by any feasible means possible. When this occurs, it will resume
    > :> the rest of the coding.
    > :
    > As noted previously in this newsgroup, there is a bug that inhibits proper
    > execution of macros assigned to keystrokes in the current release of K95.
    > The only real solution to this problem is to release the next version of
    > K95, in which this bug is fixed:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/support.html
    >
    > As noted repeatedly, I'm working on arranging for this. It's a
    > bureacratic
    > problem, not a technical one.
    >
    > - Frank

  5. Re: outputting an escape key possible?

    On 2006-04-21, Scott Caissie wrote:

    : I'm having a hard time identifying the rule of whats Local and what isn't.
    : They all work in both screens. \Kexit (alt x) & \Kupscn (alt shift page up)
    : & \Kdnscn (alt shift page down) for example. \Kdnarr (down arrow) & \Kuparr
    : (up arrow) work in both windows as well, and can be outputted.
    :
    Some Kverbs send stuff, some don't. There is a list of Kverbs here:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/kverbs.html

    in which you can see a short description of each Kverb.

    : Up arrow vs Page up. Down arrow vs Page down.
    : The only recognizable difference is single and multiple key presses to
    : activate each.
    :
    Up-arrow sends an escape sequence to the host. Page up scrolls the emulator
    screen locally and does not send anything to the host.

    : I don't suppose theres a list of what can be outputted? would save some time
    : in trail and error.
    :
    See the list. Strictly speaking, you can put any Kverb in an OUTPUT command,
    and in most cases it perform its action when the OUTPUT command is executed.
    But that does not mean it will send anything to the other computer.

    Example 1: OUTPUT \Kuparr sends whatever characters the Up Arrow key would
    send, which depends on the active emulation and cursor keypad state.

    Example 2: OUTPUT \Kupscn scrolls the command back one screen and sends
    nothing to the other computer.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread