run start \v(browser) question - Protocols

This is a discussion on run start \v(browser) question - Protocols ; I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that its universal. Seems straight forward enough. run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is what I want. run start \v(browser) ; ...

  1. run start \v(browser) question

    I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    its universal.
    Seems straight forward enough.

    run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is
    what I want.
    run start \v(browser) ; does not work. It just opens and sits at cmd and
    doesn't load iexplorer.
    run start iexplore "asdflajsd" works fine.

    The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe, which is likely
    causing a problem. Bug or not? Strip the quotation marks and the path to
    make use of it? Seems odd to even attempt to do so with an embedded
    variable. Suppose to be usable as is. Or am I doing something wrong?

  2. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    Scott Caissie wrote:
    > I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    > its universal.
    > Seems straight forward enough.
    >
    > run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is
    > what I want.
    > run start \v(browser) ; does not work. It just opens and sits at cmd and
    > doesn't load iexplorer.
    > run start iexplore "asdflajsd" works fine.
    >
    > The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe, which is likely
    > causing a problem. Bug or not? Strip the quotation marks and the path to
    > make use of it? Seems odd to even attempt to do so with an embedded
    > variable. Suppose to be usable as is. Or am I doing something wrong?

    What cmd.exe ?
    Why don't you post a snipit of your script and describe the
    environment.
    Regards...Dan.

  3. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    On 2006-03-24, Scott Caissie wrote:
    : I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    : its universal.
    :
    See HELP SET BROWSER. Normally you don't SET BROWSER to anything and
    uses "ShellExecute" for any RUN or RUN START command, which picks the
    appropriate application for any file extension or URL, based on your
    registry settings.

    : The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe...
    :
    No. SET BROWSER allows you to enter a path. If the path includes spaces,
    you have to enclose it doublequotes, but these are stripped before setting
    the \v(browser) variable. I tested this just now in K95 2.1.3.

    - Frank

  4. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    Scott Caissie wrote:
    > I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    > its universal.
    > Seems straight forward enough.
    >
    > run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is
    > what I want.
    > run start \v(browser) ; does not work. It just opens and sits at cmd and
    > doesn't load iexplorer.
    > run start iexplore "asdflajsd" works fine.
    >
    > The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe, which is likely
    > causing a problem. Bug or not? Strip the quotation marks and the path to
    > make use of it? Seems odd to even attempt to do so with an embedded
    > variable. Suppose to be usable as is. Or am I doing something wrong?

    Why don't you try this instead:

    BROWSE

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

  5. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    Well its monday, and I tried more though there wasn't much to try.

    1. BROWSE doesn't auto close the cmd.exe window that appears when
    lauching the browser.
    Thats pretty much it.

    If you use RUN START \v(browser) url, it will not even load the browser at
    all, which is baffling me.
    RUN \v(browser) url, will load the browser, but doesn't close the cmd.exe
    window that appears.

    I remember sending you an email a couple months back on how to auto close
    the cmd.exe upon using run.
    The response was to use RUN START. And for the most part, that method worked
    fine.

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
    > On 2006-03-24, Scott Caissie wrote:
    > : I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so
    > that
    > : its universal.
    > :
    > See HELP SET BROWSER. Normally you don't SET BROWSER to anything and
    > uses "ShellExecute" for any RUN or RUN START command, which picks the
    > appropriate application for any file extension or URL, based on your
    > registry settings.
    >
    > : The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe...
    > :
    > No. SET BROWSER allows you to enter a path. If the path includes spaces,
    > you have to enclose it doublequotes, but these are stripped before setting
    > the \v(browser) variable. I tested this just now in K95 2.1.3.
    >
    > - Frank

  6. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    Scott Caissie wrote:
    > I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    > its universal.
    > Seems straight forward enough.
    >
    > run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is
    > what I want.
    > run start \v(browser) ; does not work. It just opens and sits at cmd and
    > doesn't load iexplorer.
    > run start iexplore "asdflajsd" works fine.
    >
    > The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe, which is likely
    > causing a problem. Bug or not? Strip the quotation marks and the path to
    > make use of it? Seems odd to even attempt to do so with an embedded
    > variable. Suppose to be usable as is. Or am I doing something wrong?

    I followed this thread with some interest.
    A little research exposed the following:

    Start-->Run-->Cmd

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\root>cd\

    (The following calls IE while CMD.EXE remains active.)
    C:\>"c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"

    (The following forks another CMD task with the full IE path in the
    header,
    IE does not run.)
    C:\>start "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"

    (The following calls IE )
    C:\>C:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

    (The following forks IE)
    C:\> start C:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe

    The results would seem to be consistent with your K95
    experience, but in my case K95 is not running at all.
    If it were me I'd focus my anomoly research on start.

    Regards...Dan.

  7. Re: run start \v(browser) question

    JDanSkinner@JDanSkinner.com wrote:
    > Scott Caissie wrote:
    > > I'm trying to find out an easy way to use this \v(browser) command so that
    > > its universal.
    > > Seems straight forward enough.
    > >
    > > run \v(browser) "asdfljasdf" ; works but doesn't close the cmd.exe which is
    > > what I want.
    > > run start \v(browser) ; does not work. It just opens and sits at cmd and
    > > doesn't load iexplorer.
    > > run start iexplore "asdflajsd" works fine.
    > >
    > > The variable itself stores the quotation marks I believe, which is likely
    > > causing a problem. Bug or not? Strip the quotation marks and the path to
    > > make use of it? Seems odd to even attempt to do so with an embedded
    > > variable. Suppose to be usable as is. Or am I doing something wrong?

    > I followed this thread with some interest.
    > A little research exposed the following:
    >
    > Start-->Run-->Cmd
    >
    > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\root>cd\
    >
    > (The following calls IE while CMD.EXE remains active.)
    > C:\>"c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"
    >
    > (The following forks another CMD task with the full IE path in the
    > header,
    > IE does not run.)
    > C:\>start "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"
    >
    > (The following calls IE )
    > C:\>C:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe
    >
    > (The following forks IE)
    > C:\> start C:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe
    >
    > The results would seem to be consistent with your K95
    > experience, but in my case K95 is not running at all.
    > If it were me I'd focus my anomoly research on start.
    >
    > Regards...Dan.

    Oh! I forgot to mention:
    I use firefox browser. The value of \v(browser) is
    (c:\progra~1\mozill~1\firefox.exe) as stored in the registry, and run
    start \v(browser) works fine. The command processor used to launch the
    browser closes and leaves the start bar.

    I suspect that a routine to convert \v(browser) value of
    c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
    c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe
    would solve your problem.
    Generalized to sopport all possible combinations and permutations?
    Who said computers were easy.

    Regards...Dan.

+ Reply to Thread