set host /pipe ssh - Protocols

This is a discussion on set host /pipe ssh - Protocols ; Same problem with Kermit 7.? And 8.0.211 on Sun Sparc Solaris 8 Using openssh-3.9p1 I do a set host /pipe ssh vm@vm ssh ask's for the password but when I type it about 30 percent of the characters are echoed ...

  1. set host /pipe ssh

    Same problem with Kermit 7.? And 8.0.211 on Sun Sparc Solaris 8

    Using openssh-3.9p1

    I do a

    set host /pipe ssh vm@vm

    ssh ask's for the password but when I type it about 30 percent of the
    characters are echoed back to my display. No matter what I type I can't get
    it to accept the password. My entries seem to be going both to the password
    prompt and to Kermit sometimes I get the ?Not a command or macro name: in
    this state also.

    Basically can't get "set host /pipe" to work.

  2. Re: set host /pipe ssh

    Randy wrote:

    > I do a
    >
    > set host /pipe ssh vm@vm
    >
    > ssh ask's for the password but when I type it about 30 percent of the
    > characters are echoed back to my display. No matter what I type I can't get
    > it to accept the password. My entries seem to be going both to the password
    > prompt and to Kermit sometimes I get the ?Not a command or macro name: in
    > this state also.
    >
    > Basically can't get "set host /pipe" to work.

    I see the same thing if I do what you're doing. The echoed characters
    are being passed to and echoed by C-Kermit's command prompt and the
    unechoed characters are being passed to ssh's password: prompt. The two
    appear to be competing for your input and the results are
    unpredictable. Instead of /pipe, use /pty as in

    set host /pty ssh vm@vm

    or as I do

    set host /pty ssh -e none -l user host.example.com

    --
    (for email use this address please - you can figure it out)

    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net Any clod can have the facts;
    San Francisco Bay Area, California having opinions is an art. -
    C. McCabe, The Fearless Spectator

  3. Re: set host /pipe ssh

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    > I see the same thing if I do what you're doing. The echoed characters
    > are being passed to and echoed by C-Kermit's command prompt and the
    > unechoed characters are being passed to ssh's password: prompt. The two
    > appear to be competing for your input and the results are
    > unpredictable. Instead of /pipe, use /pty as in

    Actually, I confused myself in trying to duplicate what you are doing.
    The above is not quite right. There are a couple of problems depending
    on what you're doing. After you issue the

    set host /pipe ssh vm@vm

    command, you are still in C-Kermit's command mode. Thus, to answer the
    password prompt, you need to use either an output command, or enter
    connect mode with a connect command. However, if your intent is to
    interact with the remote host, you still want to use /pty and not
    /pipe. You can set host and connect in one with for example

    set host /connect /pty ssh -e none vm@vm

    --
    (for email use this address please - you can figure it out)

    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net Any clod can have the facts;
    San Francisco Bay Area, California having opinions is an art. -
    C. McCabe, The Fearless Spectator

  4. Re: set host /pipe ssh

    Randy wrote:
    > Same problem with Kermit 7.? And 8.0.211 on Sun Sparc Solaris 8
    >
    > Using openssh-3.9p1
    >
    > I do a
    >
    > set host /pipe ssh vm@vm
    >
    > ssh ask's for the password but when I type it about 30 percent of the
    > characters are echoed back to my display. No matter what I type I can't get
    > it to accept the password. My entries seem to be going both to the password
    > prompt and to Kermit sometimes I get the ?Not a command or macro name: in
    > this state also.
    >
    > Basically can't get "set host /pipe" to work.

    You can't use pipes with OpenSSH. You must use pseudo-terminals.

    SET HOST /PTY

    or

    SSH

    Jeffrey Altman