No response on terminal line connection - Protocols

This is a discussion on No response on terminal line connection - Protocols ; I'm trying to upgrade from MS-DOS Kermit v3.14 to K95 v2.1.3 on a PC that is wired directly to a terminal line. Everything is running fine with MS-DOS Kermit. However, with K95, I'm getting no response. I'm running the K95 ...

  1. No response on terminal line connection

    I'm trying to upgrade from MS-DOS Kermit v3.14 to K95 v2.1.3 on a PC that is
    wired directly to a terminal line. Everything is running fine with MS-DOS
    Kermit. However, with K95, I'm getting no response. I'm running the K95 GUI
    directly. SHO COMM reports the following settings:

    Communications Parameters:
    Port: com1, speed: 19200, mode: local, modem: none
    Parity: none, stop-bits: (default) (8N1)
    Duplex: full, flow: rts/cts, handshake: none
    Carrier-watch: off, close-on-disconnect: off
    Terminal bytesize: 8, escape character: 29 (^])

    Carrier Detect (CD): Off
    Dataset Ready (DSR): Off
    Clear To Send (CTS): Off
    Ring Indicator (RI): Off
    Data Terminal Ready (DTR): (unknown)
    Request To Send (RTS): (unknown)

    When I plug a breakout box into the connection, the lights all look
    appropriate (I get the same change of lights when K95 starts up as with
    MS-DOS Kermit), but there is no flickering of lights if I hold down a key.

    I'm starting up with the default initialization file and the following
    commands:

    set port com1
    set speed 19200
    set modem none
    set carrier-watch off

    I'm mystified as to why I'm getting no response. I presume there must be
    some setting(s) that I'm not aware of.

    Kelvin Smith

  2. Re: No response on terminal line connection

    :
    : Communications Parameters:
    : Port: com1, speed: 19200, mode: local, modem: none
    : Parity: none, stop-bits: (default) (8N1)
    : Duplex: full, flow: rts/cts, handshake: none
    :
    You have specified RTS/CTS (hardware flow control)...

    : Carrier-watch: off, close-on-disconnect: off
    : Terminal bytesize: 8, escape character: 29 (^])
    :
    : Carrier Detect (CD): Off
    : Dataset Ready (DSR): Off
    : Clear To Send (CTS): Off
    : Ring Indicator (RI): Off
    :
    But no modem signals are seen by Kermit. When RTS/CTS flow control is
    selected, nothing can be sent out the port unless the CTS signal is On.

    : Data Terminal Ready (DTR): (unknown)
    : Request To Send (RTS): (unknown)
    :
    : When I plug a breakout box into the connection, the lights all look
    : appropriate (I get the same change of lights when K95 starts up as with
    : MS-DOS Kermit), but there is no flickering of lights if I hold down a key.
    :
    : I'm starting up with the default initialization file and the following
    : commands:
    :
    : set port com1
    : set speed 19200
    : set modem none
    : set carrier-watch off
    :
    : I'm mystified as to why I'm getting no response. I presume there must be
    : some setting(s) that I'm not aware of.
    :
    Try "set flow none" or "set flow xon/xoff". And since there is no Carrier
    signal either, you might also need "set carrier-watch off".

    But maybe the real problem is that you need to use the TAPI device instead
    of the "DOS" device. See the Kermit 95 FAQ:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#comport

    - Frank

  3. Re: No response on terminal line connection

    Flow control was the issue. SET FLOW XON/XOFF got me running. Thanks!

    Kelvin

+ Reply to Thread