closing a macro completely upon connect - Protocols

This is a discussion on closing a macro completely upon connect - Protocols ; Ya all 'macros' that we talked about were definitions. Not simple reassignment of keys. You mentioned 'temporarly' enters the command window. Could you clarify on that. basically: set key \96 \Ktest define test { ...... connect return } this is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: closing a macro completely upon connect

    Ya all 'macros' that we talked about were definitions. Not simple
    reassignment of keys.
    You mentioned 'temporarly' enters the command window. Could you clarify on
    that.

    basically:
    set key \96 \Ktest

    define test {
    connect
    return
    }

    this is how all my macro definitions work, and are successful when used in
    connect mode. This design makes it temporary.
    By the way, if I did have Jeff's patch, what would my patch version be?
    2.1.4?

    "Frank da Cruz" wrote in message
> [...]
    > :: fixed the bug associated with SET KEY and terminal mode, but my
    > :: recollection is that the macro would be configured to execute and
    > :: "terminal or connect mode" would not be exited.
    > ::
    > : I hope I can clarify this by saying that keystroke macros should be able
    > : run in either Command mode or Connect mode, but currently don't due to
    > the
    > : aforementioned bug. But when you invoke a macro with a keystroke while
    > in
    > : Connect mode, K95 temporarily enters Command mode to execute it, because
    > : that's where commands are executed, and a macro is just a series of
    > commands.
    > :
    > : When you assign something to a key with SET KEY, it can be a character
    > or
    > : string to be transmitted to the host, or a Kverb, or a macro invocation.
    > The
    > : first two are executed directly in Connect mode, the latter can be
    > executed
    > : only in Command mode. You can mix all of these things in a single key
    > : definition. I presently don't have a version of K95 handy without the
    > bug,
    > : so I can't say exactly how this appears to the user; there might or
    > might not
    > : be some visible transitions on the screen.
    > :
    > Upon rereading this, I see I should make one more clarification. The word
    > "macro" is vague. Keystroke macros are often understood to be assignments
    > of
    > characters or strings to a key. That's not what we're talking about here.
    > There is no bug in Kermit 95 in this respect. The bug involves only the
    > assignment of a Kermit macro invocation to a key. For example:
    >
    > define somemacro xxx, yyy, zzz
    >
    > (where xxx, yyy, and zzz is a list of one or more Kermit commands). This
    > macro can be assigned to (say) the F11 key as follows:
    >
    > set key \378 \Ksomemacro
    >
    > or:
    >
    > set key \378 \K{somemacro}
    >
    > This looks like a Kverb but it isn't. As long as the string following the
    > \K
    > is not the name of a built-in Kverb, it is looked up in Kermit's macro
    > table
    > and, if found, executed (by internally switching to command mode
    > temporarily).
    > This is what does not work when the key is pressed while in Connect mode
    > (because of the bug). It still works when the key is pressed while in the
    > Command screen. The bug is fixed in Jeff's copy:
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/support.html
    >
    > but I can't distribute that yet, until some arrangements have been made
    > between Columbia University and Jeff, which are taking a long time. In
    > the
    > meantime, it is available directly from Jeff as described on the page

  2. Re: closing a macro completely upon connect

    Scott Caissie wrote:
    > By the way, if I did have Jeff's patch, what would my patch version be?
    > 2.1.4?

    My private builds are labeled 2.2.0

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2