mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95? - Protocols

This is a discussion on mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95? - Protocols ; I just purchased Kermit 95, and unfortunately the scrollback feature does not seem to work with the scroll wheel on my mouse. I'm using a standard Dell optical mouse (which I believe is a Logitech mouse). Are there any special ...

  1. mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95?

    I just purchased Kermit 95, and unfortunately the scrollback feature
    does not seem to work with the scroll wheel on my mouse. I'm using a
    standard Dell optical mouse (which I believe is a Logitech mouse).

    Are there any special settings I can make in either the mouse driver or
    in Kermit 95 to make this work? This would be very nice to have.

  2. Re: mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95?

    tomviolin wrote:

    > Are there any special settings I can make in either the mouse driver or
    > in Kermit 95 to make this work? This would be very nice to have.

    Good question. I've never given this much thought, but I have a mouse
    with a wheel that works in most windows apps, but apparently not in
    k95g in spite of which
    says in part

    "K95G lets you scroll back and forth through both the Terminal and
    Command screens using the scroll bar in the normal Windows way: push
    the slider in the desired direction; click on the the little arrowheads
    at top or bottom of the scrollbar; click above or below the slider; or
    use your mouse wheel if you have one."

    Also, the manual has a similar statement in the "Scrolling the Window"
    subsection of docs/manual/kermit95.htm#c3win

    The other interesting things are when I

    show mouse

    it says

    Button Count: 2
    Button 3 Double-Click = Kverb: \Kpaste

    but neither the wheel nor wheel (button 3) double-click have any
    effect. If I

    set mouse debug on

    wheel clicks are recognized and reported along with pointer position,
    e.g.

    Mouse Event: (76,23) Click

    but the button is not identified.

    --
    (for email use this address please - you can figure it out)

    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net Any clod can have the facts;
    San Francisco Bay Area, California having opinions is an art. -
    C. McCabe, The Fearless Spectator

  3. Re: mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95?

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    > show mouse
    >
    > it says
    >
    > Button Count: 2

    Windows is reporting the mouse as having two buttons not three.

    > Button 3 Double-Click = Kverb: \Kpaste

    You can program as many buttons as you want.

    > but neither the wheel nor wheel (button 3) double-click have any
    > effect. If I
    >
    > set mouse debug on
    >
    > wheel clicks are recognized and reported along with pointer position,
    > e.g.
    >
    > Mouse Event: (76,23) Click
    >
    > but the button is not identified.

    The mouse wheel events are supposed to be converted to scroll events.
    K95 was written before the Scroll Wheel events became a part of the
    Windows API.

    Jeffrey Altman

  4. Re: mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95?

    On 2006-02-25, Mark Sapiro wrote:
    :>
    :
    : Good question. I've never given this much thought, but I have a mouse
    : with a wheel that works in most windows apps, but apparently not in
    : k95g...
    :
    I confess, all this is a mystery to me. The behavior is different from one
    machine to another. I have two PCs in my office, both with K95G 2.1.3 and
    Windows XP. The mouse wheel works fine in Kermit on one of them (machine A),
    and not at all on the other (B). This is clearly a Windows issue and not a
    Kermit one. If Windows feeds Kermit the mouse wheel events, Kermit knows what
    to do with them. The Kermit scrolling that you see when the mouse wheel does
    work is being done by Kermit itself.

    I have Photoshop on the same two machines, and the same is true there. The
    mouse wheel works as expected on machine A (e.g. for scrolling an enlarged
    image vertically) but not at all on machine B. Yet the wheel works fine on
    Macnine B in other applications such as IE and Firefox.

    : show mouse [says]:
    :
    : Button Count: 2
    : ...
    : Button 3 Double-Click = Kverb: \Kpaste
    :
    My machine A says the same thing, yet the wheel button does something --
    "Autoscroll". Going into the Mouse folder of the Control Panel, I see that's
    exactly what it's configured to do. You can change this in the Mouse
    Properties dialog, but it seems you can't assign "Click" to it because Click
    can only be assigned to one button and it's already assigned to Button 1. The
    same is true for the thumb buttons on (e.g.) the InteliMouse Explorer. Thus
    it would seem to be impossible to program buttons 3 or above in Kermit because
    Windows won't let them generate a simple click event.

    What about the turning the wheel. Go to the Wheel tab in the Mouse Properties
    dialog ... Hmmm, well this is a mystery. I have entirely different Mouse
    Properties dialogs on the two machines, even though the OS and patch level
    are identical, and the machines are both Dell. Go figure.

    On the machine where wheel scrolling works, the Wheel tab has a "Wheel
    Troubleshooter" section: "Click Troubleshooter if the wheel does not work as
    expected". It also has an "Advanced" button.

    On the (newer) machine B, where wheel scrolling doesn't work, there are no
    such features on the Wheel tab. Perfect.

    Maybe this information will provide some clues to someone who understands
    Windows better than I do.

    - Frank

  5. Re: mouse scroll wheel in Kermit 95?

    Frank da Cruz wrote:
    > I confess, all this is a mystery to me. The behavior is different from one
    > machine to another. I have two PCs in my office, both with K95G 2.1.3 and
    > Windows XP. The mouse wheel works fine in Kermit on one of them (machine A),
    > and not at all on the other (B). This is clearly a Windows issue and not a
    > Kermit one. If Windows feeds Kermit the mouse wheel events, Kermit knows what
    > to do with them. The Kermit scrolling that you see when the mouse wheel does
    > work is being done by Kermit itself.
    >
    > I have Photoshop on the same two machines, and the same is true there. The
    > mouse wheel works as expected on machine A (e.g. for scrolling an enlarged
    > image vertically) but not at all on machine B. Yet the wheel works fine on
    > Macnine B in other applications such as IE and Firefox.

    If your mouse driver maps the wheel to scroll events then it will work.

    If your mouse driver does not map the wheel to scroll events then it
    will not work.

    Kermit 95 was written before there were mouse wheels. As such it does
    not support them. You need to rely on the compatibility mode of the
    mouse drivers.

    Jeffrey Altman

+ Reply to Thread