kermit ssl passive ftp - Protocols

This is a discussion on kermit ssl passive ftp - Protocols ; Folks, I have a kermit binary on solaris that I am using to make a passive ftp connection with a ftp server. I am using SSL authentication. I am able to connect over the control channel everything looks fine, until ...

  1. kermit ssl passive ftp

    Folks,

    I have a kermit binary on solaris that I am using to make a passive ftp
    connection with a ftp server. I am using SSL authentication.

    I am able to connect over the control channel everything looks fine, until I go
    to open a data port. Running a debug I see that the Pasv port response from the
    server is actually sending a host address along with the port number that it
    wants the client to connect to.

    While the host address the server is sending me is an internal non routable IP
    address of the host and not the external NATed IP address. This makes my kermit
    client to try and open a data connection to that non routable IP address and it
    obviously fails.

    My questions are...

    1) Is there an option in the kermit ftp to ignore the ip address sent in the
    port command and only pick up the port number and use the host ip address on the
    control channel.

    WS-ftp has this option, does kermit have something similar.

    Thanks,
    Zombie

    --
    zombie

  2. Re: kermit ssl passive ftp

    zombie wrote:
    > Folks,
    >
    > I have a kermit binary on solaris that I am using to make a passive ftp
    > connection with a ftp server. I am using SSL authentication.
    >
    > I am able to connect over the control channel everything looks fine, until I go
    > to open a data port. Running a debug I see that the Pasv port response from the
    > server is actually sending a host address along with the port number that it
    > wants the client to connect to.
    >
    > While the host address the server is sending me is an internal non routable IP
    > address of the host and not the external NATed IP address. This makes my kermit
    > client to try and open a data connection to that non routable IP address and it
    > obviously fails.
    >
    > My questions are...
    >
    > 1) Is there an option in the kermit ftp to ignore the ip address sent in the
    > port command and only pick up the port number and use the host ip address on the
    > control channel.
    >
    > WS-ftp has this option, does kermit have something similar.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Zombie

    Kermit does not have such an option. Even if it did, when going through
    a NAT the port that the ftp server opens is not going to be the same
    port number as the one on the public side of the NAT.

    Jeffrey Altman

+ Reply to Thread