Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial) - Protocols

This is a discussion on Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial) - Protocols ; First the stats: Fedora Core 4 on x86 C-Kermit 8.0.211 OD-EMS-100 External Serial Modem ( http://accent.dlink.com/Product/View...ProdID=3)Modem Modem Chipset: Conexant HSFi-CX11251-11 As the title says, I can't dial out?? I have an old US Robotics that I can dial out with ...

  1. Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    First the stats:

    Fedora Core 4 on x86
    C-Kermit 8.0.211
    OD-EMS-100 External Serial Modem
    (http://accent.dlink.com/Product/View...ProdID=3)Modem Modem
    Chipset: Conexant HSFi-CX11251-11

    As the title says, I can't dial out?? I have an old US Robotics that I
    can dial out with fine on the same line, and the modem *is* powered on.

    Here's a sample session:
    C-Kermit>set line /dev/ttyS1
    (/home/erg25994/REBR/libserial-0.5.1/examples/) C-Kermit>show modem
    Line: /dev/ttyS1, Modem type: generic
    Generic high-speed AT command set

    Modem capabilities: AT SB EC DC HWFC
    Modem carrier-watch: auto
    Modem maximum-speed: 115200 bps
    Modem error-correction: on
    Modem compression: on
    Modem speed-matching: off (interface speed is locked)
    Modem flow-control: auto
    Modem hangup-method: modem-command
    Modem speaker: on
    Modem volume: medium
    Modem kermit-spoof: off
    Modem escape-character: 43 (= "+")

    MODEM COMMANDs (* = set automatically by SET MODEM TYPE):

    * Init-string: (none)
    * Dial-mode-string: (none)
    * Dial-mode-prompt: (none)
    * Dial-command: ATD%s\{13}
    * Compression on: (none)
    * Compression off: (none)
    * Error-correction on: (none)
    * Error-correction off: (none)
    * Autoanswer on: ATS0=1\{13}
    * Autoanswer off: ATS0=0\{13}
    * Speaker on: (none)
    * Speaker off: (none)
    * Volume low: (none)
    * Volume medium: (none)
    * Volume high: (none)
    * Hangup-command: ATQ0H0\{13}
    * Hardware-flow: (none)
    * Software-flow: (none)
    * No-flow-control: (none)
    * Pulse: ATP\{13}
    * Tone: ATT\{13}
    * Ignore-dialtone: ATX3\{13}
    * Predial-init: (none)

    For more info: SHOW DIAL and SHOW COMMUNICATIONS
    C-Kermit> show dial
    Line: /dev/ttyS1, Modem type: generic, speed: 9600, carrier: auto
    Dial status: -1 = (none)
    Dial directory: (none)
    Dial method: auto Dial sort: on
    Dial hangup: on Dial display: off
    Dial retries: (auto) Dial interval: 10
    Dial timeout: 0 (auto) Redial number: (none)
    Dial confirmation: off Dial convert-directory: ask
    Dial ignore-dialtone: off Dial pacing: -1
    Dial prefix: (none)
    Dial suffix: (none)
    Dial country-code: (none) Dial connect: auto verbose
    Dial area-code: (none) Dial restrict: none
    Dial lc-area-codes: (none)
    Dial lc-prefix: (none)
    Dial lc-suffix: (none)
    Dial ld-prefix: (none)
    Dial ld-suffix: (none)
    Dial force-long-distance off
    Dial intl-prefix: (none)
    Dial intl-suffix: (none)
    Dial toll-free-area-code: (none)
    Dial pulse-countries: (none)
    Dial tone-countries: 1 31 32 33 352 353 354 358 39 44 45 46
    47 49
    Dial toll-free-prefix: (none)
    Dial pbx-exchange: (none)
    Dial pbx-inside-prefix: (none)
    Dial pbx-outside-prefix: (none)
    Dial macro: (none)
    Type SHOW MODEM to see modem settings.
    Type SHOW COMMUNICATIONS to see modem signals.

    show communications

    Communications Parameters:
    Line: /dev/ttyS1, speed: 9600, mode: local, modem: generic
    Parity: none, stop-bits: (default) (8N1)
    Duplex: full, flow: rts/cts, handshake: none
    Carrier-watch: auto, close-on-disconnect: off
    Lockfile: /etc/locks/LCK..ttyS1
    Terminal bytesize: 8, escape character: 28 (^\)

    Carrier Detect (CD): Off
    Dataset Ready (DSR): On
    Clear To Send (CTS): On
    Ring Indicator (RI): Off
    Data Terminal Ready (DTR): On
    Request To Send (RTS): On

    Type SHOW DIAL to see DIAL-related items.
    Type SHOW MODEM to see modem-related items.

    set dial method tone
    SET DIAL display on
    dial 91234567
    Trying: 91234567...
    Device: /dev/ttyS1, modem: generic, speed: 9600
    Dial timeout: 70 seconds
    To cancel: type your interrupt character (normally Ctrl-C).
    Hangup OK
    Initializing: 12:15:00...
    ATQ0V1
    OK
    Dialing: 12:15:01...
    ATDT91234567

    NO DIALTONE
    DIAL Failure: 12:15:10: "NO DIALTONE"

    *************************
    DIAL-class command failed.
    Modem type: generic
    Device: /dev/ttyS1
    Speed: 9600
    Dial status: 24 [No dialtone]
    . Is the modem connected to the telephone line?
    . Please choose a specific modem type with SET MODEM TYPE and try
    again.
    SET MODEM TYPE ? to see the list of known modem types.
    . SET MODEM HANGUP-METHOD MODEM-COMMAND and try again.
    . If that doesn't work, try again with SET DIAL HANGUP OFF.
    . SHOW COMMUNICATIONS, SHOW MODEM, SHOW DIAL to see current settings.
    . HELP SET MODEM, HELP SET DIAL, and HELP DIAL for more information.
    (Use SET HINTS OFF to suppress future hints.)
    *************************

    **At this point I try the suggestions regarding the hangup type with no
    improvement***

    set modem type conexant

    dial 91234567
    Trying: 91234567..l.
    Device: /dev/ttyS1, modem: conexant, speed: 9600
    Dial timeout: 70 seconds
    To cancel: type your interrupt character (normally Ctrl-C).

    +++ATQ0H0
    OK
    Modem hangup OK
    Initializing: 12:19:37...
    ATQ0
    ATQ0
    OK
    AT&K3
    OK
    ATQ0V1X4&C1&D2%E1+FCLASS=0
    OK
    AT&Q5
    OK
    AT%C3
    OK
    ATM1L2
    OK
    ATS2=43S7=70
    OK
    Dialing: 12:19:38...
    ATDT91234567

    NO DIALTONE
    DIAL Failure: 12:19:47: "NO DIALTONE"

    *************************
    DIAL-class command failed.
    Modem type: conexant
    Device: /dev/ttyS1
    Speed: 9600
    Dial status: 24 [No dialtone]
    . Is the modem connected to the telephone line?
    . Are you sure you have chosen the appropriate modem type?
    . SET MODEM HANGUP-METHOD RS232 and try again.
    . If that doesn't work, try again with SET DIAL HANGUP OFF.
    . SHOW COMMUNICATIONS, SHOW MODEM, SHOW DIAL to see current settings.
    . HELP SET MODEM, HELP SET DIAL, and HELP DIAL for more information.
    (Use SET HINTS OFF to suppress future hints.)
    *************************

    Again, I went through the various hangup option.
    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    A bit more info - the chipset I listed above is wrong - apparently they
    use the same manual for their internal PCI modems.

    I pulled the cover off and found the following on a large chip inside:

    CONEXANT CX06827-11
    AGOQN.4
    0408 KOREA

  3. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    ergeorge@pcisys.net wrote:
    > First the stats:
    >
    > Fedora Core 4 on x86
    > C-Kermit 8.0.211

    > Again, I went through the various hangup option.
    > Any ideas?

    Can you hear the dial tone?
    Does the modem have 2 RJ11's?
    Is one labeled phone and the other wall?
    Is the line from the wall plug inserted in the RJ11 labeled wall.

    When you use the working modem is it with the same phone line,
    the same RJ11 in the wall?

    Regards...Dan.

  4. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    > Can you hear the dial tone?

    No

    > Does the modem have 2 RJ11's?

    No - it doesn't have a paas-through, just the wall jack.

    > Is one labeled phone and the other wall?
    > Is the line from the wall plug inserted in the RJ11 labeled wall.

    Like I said, only one jack.

    > When you use the working modem is it with the same phone line,
    > the same RJ11 in the wall?

    Yep - I've also tried to call that number from a regular phone, but it
    doesn't answer. I figure that may just be the auto-answer though.

    Thanks
    Eric

  5. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    On 2006-01-30, ergeorge@pcisys.net wrote:
    :> Can you hear the dial tone?
    :
    : No
    :
    :> Does the modem have 2 RJ11's?
    :
    : No - it doesn't have a paas-through, just the wall jack.
    :
    :> Is one labeled phone and the other wall?
    :> Is the line from the wall plug inserted in the RJ11 labeled wall.
    :
    : Like I said, only one jack.
    :
    :> When you use the working modem is it with the same phone line,
    :> the same RJ11 in the wall?
    :
    : Yep - I've also tried to call that number from a regular phone, but it
    : doesn't answer. I figure that may just be the auto-answer though.
    :
    If the modem says NO DIALTONE, that means it is not detecting a dialtone.
    Kermit has no control over that, it's something between your modem and the
    phone company. Kermit only sees the "other side" of the modem, the digital
    data side, where the messages come out.

    If you think it's OK to dial anyway, even though the modem doesn't detect
    dialtone, see:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit70.html#x2.1.6

    Although it might seem that this information is hidden away rather well
    (and perhaps it is), I found it right away by searching for DIALTON in
    the search box on the Kermit Project home page:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

    - Frank

  6. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    Just tried that "blind-dialing" command. I can now hear it dial, but
    still can't hear the dial tone. And nothing out the other end (ie. the
    dialed number doesn't ring).

    I'm beginning to think this is just a defective POS that I should take
    back over lunch.

    Thanks again
    Eric

  7. Re: Can't dial out on OD-EMS-100 (Conexant ext serial)

    Took it back over lunch and picked up a Creative Modem Blaster - $10
    more but it worked on the first try! Definitely a more solid feeling
    piece of hardware as well.

+ Reply to Thread