Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection - Protocols ; We recently purchased Kermit 95 ver 2.1. I'm new to the product. From an XP client I'm able to schedule and launch K95 via a batch file and have it run a .KSC script. The script uses FTP and sucessfully ...

  1. Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection

    We recently purchased Kermit 95 ver 2.1. I'm new to the product. From
    an XP client I'm able to schedule and launch K95 via a batch file and
    have it run a .KSC script. The script uses FTP and sucessfully logs in
    anonymously to a W2K3 server running SP1 and Microsoft ftp service/IIS
    ver 6.0. The put with parameters is working great. So here is my
    question.

    I don't always trust Microsoft and so do not want to be faked out.
    Below is my script. What I'm hoping is that it is a "SECURED FTP
    connection" (minus the anonymous part) so do all these SET parameters
    work against a W2K3 server or goes the ftp connection need to be made
    to some complimenting host also running a Kermit product?

    SET AUTHENTICATION SSL VERIFY
    ;SET AUTH SSL CERTS-OK
    SET FTP AUTHTYPE SSL
    SET FTP AUTOLOGIN ON
    ;SET FTP COMMAND-PROTECTION-LEVEL PRIVATE
    ;SET FTP DATA-PROTECTION-LEVEL PRIVATE
    SET TRANSACTION-LOG VERBOSE

    SET TRANSFER DISPLAY OFF
    SET FTP DISPLAY OFF
    SET FTP PROGRESS-MESSAGES OFF

    SET TRANSACTION-LOG FTP
    SET FTP DISPLAY BRIEF
    set locus local

    ; Next position to high level LOCAL directory

    LCD c:\
    LCD c:\Junk

    set locus auto

    ; Next delete audit trail before starting
    if exist LDASFTPLOG.txt del LDASFTPLOG.txt

    LOG TRANSACTIONS LDASFTPLOG.txt

    wait 5

    ftp ALXN-VMD-QC01 /anonymous
    if fail exit 1 Connection failed
    if not \v(ftp_loggedin) exit 1 Login failed
    undefine \%p

    ; Next position to high level TARGET directory

    ftp cd LDAS
    ftp cd \%1
    ftp cd \BACKUP
    ;if fail exit 1 ftp cd working: \v(ftp_message)

    ;Now we upload the file(s):

    ftp mput /recursive *.txt *.pdf

    ftp bye
    exit
    exit

  2. Re: Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection

    Can Frank da Cruz or someone at Columbia help me out with my
    questions..please

  3. Re: Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection

    K.Rose wrote:
    > We recently purchased Kermit 95 ver 2.1. I'm new to the product. From
    > an XP client I'm able to schedule and launch K95 via a batch file and
    > have it run a .KSC script. The script uses FTP and sucessfully logs in
    > anonymously to a W2K3 server running SP1 and Microsoft ftp service/IIS
    > ver 6.0. The put with parameters is working great. So here is my
    > question.
    >
    > I don't always trust Microsoft and so do not want to be faked out.
    > Below is my script. What I'm hoping is that it is a "SECURED FTP
    > connection" (minus the anonymous part) so do all these SET parameters
    > work against a W2K3 server or goes the ftp connection need to be made
    > to some complimenting host also running a Kermit product?

    Microsoft does not support secure ftp connections.

    I recommend WFTPD Pro

    http://www.wftpd.com/

    Jeffrey Altman
    Secure Endpoints Inc.

  4. Re: Kermit 95 ver 2.1 and SECURED FTP automated connection

    :
    : I don't always trust Microsoft and so do not want to be faked out.
    :
    Kermit verifies that the remote host is who it claims to be, using whatever
    methods are made available by the connection and security methods you are
    using, including (on Internet connections) reverse DNS lookups and (on secure
    connections) higher-level authentication methods such as X.509 certificates.

    : Below is my script. What I'm hoping is that it is a "SECURED FTP
    : connection" (minus the anonymous part) so do all these SET parameters
    : work against a W2K3 server or goes the ftp connection need to be made
    : to some complimenting host also running a Kermit product?
    :
    I recommend you read the FTP client manual:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit80.html#ftp

    as well as the Kermit Security Reference:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/security80.html

    If you want to watch what is happening while the connection is being made,
    use "set auth ssl debug on".

    If you want to check the security of the connection after it is made,
    look at the \v(ftp_security) variable. If it has an empty value, you don't
    have a secure connection. In this case it should be "SSL". Also (I don't
    have a way to check this right now), you might also want to examine the
    values of \v(authname), \v(authstate), and \v(authtype).

    : SET AUTHENTICATION SSL VERIFY
    : ;SET AUTH SSL CERTS-OK
    : SET FTP AUTHTYPE SSL
    : SET FTP AUTOLOGIN ON
    : ;SET FTP COMMAND-PROTECTION-LEVEL PRIVATE
    : ;SET FTP DATA-PROTECTION-LEVEL PRIVATE
    : SET TRANSACTION-LOG VERBOSE
    :
    : SET TRANSFER DISPLAY OFF
    : SET FTP DISPLAY OFF
    : SET FTP PROGRESS-MESSAGES OFF
    :
    : SET TRANSACTION-LOG FTP
    : SET FTP DISPLAY BRIEF
    : set locus local
    :
    "set locus local" gives you an orientation for file management commands
    that most people would not expect in an FTP client: local rather than
    remote.

    : ; Next position to high level LOCAL directory
    :
    : LCD c:\
    : LCD c:\Junk
    :
    Anyway, if you use LCD and RCD (or FTP CD) rather than just CD, the LOCUS
    setting is superfluous.

    : set locus auto
    :
    This only has an effect when you make a connection.

    In general, Kermit should be set up correctly for most situations out of the
    box, and it should not be necessary to issue a huge number of SET commands.

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread