ftp down - Protocols

This is a discussion on ftp down - Protocols ; I tried connecting to the smple script directory ( ftp://kermit.columbia.edu ) but it is says that it is refused by the remote host. Is there a problem with the ftp server? I am interested in some sample http scripts. nothing ...

  1. ftp down

    I tried connecting to the smple script directory
    (ftp://kermit.columbia.edu) but it is says that it is refused by the
    remote host.

    Is there a problem with the ftp server?

    I am interested in some sample http scripts. nothing specific yet.

    Thank you for the help.

    Malone

  2. Re: ftp down

    Try ftp://ftp.columbia.edu/kermit

    For script help, browse the kermit pages from http://www.columbia.edu/kermit

    Arthur.

    malone wrote:
    > I tried connecting to the smple script directory
    > (ftp://kermit.columbia.edu) but it is says that it is refused by the
    > remote host.
    >
    > Is there a problem with the ftp server?
    >
    > I am interested in some sample http scripts. nothing specific yet.
    >
    > Thank you for the help.
    >
    > Malone

  3. Re: ftp down

    malone wrote:

    > I tried connecting to the smple script directory
    > (ftp://kermit.columbia.edu) but it is says that it is refused by the
    > remote host.
    >
    > Is there a problem with the ftp server?

    If you were trying to access the FTP server form the same IP address
    you posted your message from, it won't work. Columbia's FTP server
    checks reverse and forward DNS. If they don't resolve, you don't
    get in. This is a security measure on their part.
    Their server, their rules.

    The IP you posted from, 66.210.191.2 resolves to
    COX-66-210-191-2.coxinet.net.
    Looking up that name fails to return the IP.
    You will have to take this up with COX.

    FWIW, I am having the same problem with Charter.
    I put in a trouble ticket back in November.
    No action yet. I have to access Columbia from work.
    There, our ISP knows what they are doing.

    You might try using a web proxy service. If their DNS
    is good, you should be ok.

    Gerry Belanger

    ---
    (above adx is ng.)

  4. Re: ftp down

    Thank you, that answers my question. on why I could not get in to the
    FTP site. I believe I found the problem and can now access it.

    Malone

+ Reply to Thread