Rasdial - Protocols

This is a discussion on Rasdial - Protocols ; There are times that I automate a connection to other servers using Rasdial and the conenction is either busy or no carrier is detected or what ever. I am looking for a way to capture its error state, examine it ...

  1. Rasdial

    There are times that I automate a connection to other servers using
    Rasdial and the conenction is either busy or no carrier is detected or
    what ever. I am looking for a way to capture its error state, examine
    it in kermit and take appropriate actions.

    For example if the line is busy I want kermit to examine rasdials state
    and not redial imediatly but rather redial after other scripts ran. If
    the carrier was not detected I would want it to redial. and if it
    continues not connecting I would want it to notify me.

    Is this possible?

    if it is not possible to grab this variable using Kermit, is there
    another language like perl or java that could be used instead?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Rasdial

    :
    : For example if the line is busy I want kermit to examine rasdials state
    : and not redial imediatly but rather redial after other scripts ran. If
    : the carrier was not detected I would want it to redial. and if it
    : continues not connecting I would want it to notify me.
    :
    : Is this possible?
    :
    : if it is not possible to grab this variable using Kermit, is there
    : another language like perl or java that could be used instead?
    :
    I don't think there is any way to do this in Windows. As explained in the
    K95 FAQ:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95faq.html#modems

    (item "Can K95 dial my ISP?"):

    Because of Kermit 95's flexibility and programmability, many people ask us
    if there is a way that Kermit 95 can be used to make Dial Up Networking
    connections, in place of the standard Windows way. A variation on this
    question is: since Kermit can make modem calls, can I use it to make dialed
    connections to FTP servers? Unfortunately, the answer is no; Microsoft does
    not provide a way to let an application make a connection to a PPP or SLIP
    or FTP server (or Microsoft Windows Terminal Server) and then turn the
    connection over to the TCP/IP (or other network protocol) stack. The only
    way in Windows 95/98/ME or NT/2000/XP to make a dialup networking connection
    is with the built-in Dialup Networking dialer or (in Windows NT) RAS (see
    notes about RAS HERE). OS/2, on the other hand, allows this and Kermit 95
    for OS/2 has this feature for both PPP and SLIP.

    This was written a long time ago but I'm not aware that anything has changed,
    nor am I aware of any way to access the state of the RAS dialer. As noted,
    this could be done in OS/2 or, for that matter, most versions of Unix, such
    as Linux.

    - Frank

  3. Re: Rasdial

    Thank you, I found out the hard way that Kermit95 did make Dial Up
    Networking connections.

    Another question: how could I get a variable from the dos prompt, for
    example %errorlevel%, to be recognized by Kermit95? This variable gives
    the error code that I am looking for but how can I grab if for use in
    my script?

  4. Re: Rasdial

    On 2005-11-10, malone wrote:
    : Thank you, I found out the hard way that Kermit95 did make Dial Up
    : Networking connections.
    :
    : Another question: how could I get a variable from the dos prompt, for
    : example %errorlevel%, to be recognized by Kermit95? This variable gives
    : the error code that I am looking for but how can I grab if for use in
    : my script?
    :
    Did you try \$(errorlevel)? Also, if you are RUN-ning an external program
    from inside K95, you can access its exit status code as \v(pexitstat).

    - Frank

  5. Re: Rasdial

    \$(errorlevel) did not retrieve any infomation, but the \v(pexitstat)
    gave me exactly what I was looking for.

    Thank you for your help.

+ Reply to Thread