Kermit logging of a session - Protocols

This is a discussion on Kermit logging of a session - Protocols ; I want to log a session when using Kermit to connect to another system. What command(s) do I use? Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal into a mode that would display all the ...

  1. Kermit logging of a session

    I want to log a session when using Kermit to connect to another system.
    What command(s) do I use?

    Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal
    into a mode that would display all the control and other non-printable
    characters. Is there such a mode in Kermit?

  2. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    > I want to log a session when using Kermit to connect to another system.
    > What command(s) do I use?

    log session filename

    > Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal
    > into a mode that would display all the control and other non-printable
    > characters. Is there such a mode in Kermit?

    Assuming you mean Kermit-95, Alt-D is the default key to toggle
    'terminal debug' mode. It can also be controlled by the

    set terminal debug off|on

    command, but in k95 2.1.3 (and maybe earlier, I don't remember) there
    is a bug in that both 'off' and 'on' mean 'on' so you can turn the mode
    on by command, but you have to use Alt-D (or whatever you've mapped the
    \Kdebug function to) in connect mode to turn it off.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  3. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    In article <1131598748.832021.277940@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, "Mark Sapiro" writes:

    >VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >> I want to log a session when using Kermit to connect to another system.
    >> What command(s) do I use?

    >log session filename

    Thanks...

    >> Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal
    >> into a mode that would display all the control and other non-printable
    >> characters. Is there such a mode in Kermit?

    >Assuming you mean Kermit-95, Alt-D is the default key to toggle
    >'terminal debug' mode. It can also be controlled by the
    >
    >set terminal debug off|on
    >
    >command, but in k95 2.1.3 (and maybe earlier, I don't remember) there
    >is a bug in that both 'off' and 'on' mean 'on' so you can turn the mode
    >on by command, but you have to use Alt-D (or whatever you've mapped the
    >\Kdebug function to) in connect mode to turn it off.

    I'm using this on an Apple Powerbook. Alt-D doesn't seem to work on
    the Powerbook. Is there a different key sequence?

  4. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    In article <00A4C98D.DB78424B@SendSpamHere.ORG>, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG writes:

    >In article <1131598748.832021.277940@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, "Mark Sapiro" writes:
    >>

    >>VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >>> I want to log a session when using Kermit to connect to another system.
    >>> What command(s) do I use?

    >>log session filename

    >Thanks...

    I have the following in a script:

    set terminal debug on
    log session test.log

    When I connect, I get what I'd expect from the "set terminal debug on" but
    the test.log file is always empty.

  5. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    On 2005-11-10, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    :...
    :>> Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal
    :>> into a mode that would display all the control and other non-printable
    :>> characters. Is there such a mode in Kermit?
    :>
    :
    : I'm using this on an Apple Powerbook. Alt-D doesn't seem to work on
    : the Powerbook. Is there a different key sequence?
    :
    If it's a Powerbook, it's probably C-Kermit, not Kermit 95. C-Kermit
    doesn't do Alt keys, etc. You can still use SET TERMINAL DEBUG to turn
    terminal debugging on and off, but the display is a bit crude.

    - Frank

  6. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    In article , Frank da Cruz writes:

    >On 2005-11-10, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >:...
    >:>> Also, for those that remember the ol' VT100, one could put the terminal
    >:>> into a mode that would display all the control and other non-printable
    >:>> characters. Is there such a mode in Kermit?
    >:>
    >:>Assuming you mean Kermit-95, Alt-D is the default key to toggle
    >:>'terminal debug' mode. It can also be controlled by the
    >:>
    >:>set terminal debug off|on
    >:
    >: I'm using this on an Apple Powerbook. Alt-D doesn't seem to work on
    >: the Powerbook. Is there a different key sequence?
    >:
    >If it's a Powerbook, it's probably C-Kermit, not Kermit 95. C-Kermit
    >doesn't do Alt keys, etc. You can still use SET TERMINAL DEBUG to turn
    >terminal debugging on and off, but the display is a bit crude.
    >
    >- Frank

    Thanks Frank.

    I've put a "log session filename" in the script I've written. It opens
    a file with the name "filename" but there is never anything written in
    the file. I want/need to log the session with the debug output included.

  7. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    On 2005-11-10, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    : I have the following in a script:
    : ...
    : set terminal debug on
    : log session test.log
    : ...
    :
    : When I connect, I get what I'd expect from the "set terminal debug on" but
    : the test.log file is always empty.
    :
    Wow, I never noticed that before. You're right, when terminal debugging is
    on, the session log stops recording. I'll have to look into that.

    - Frank

  8. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    VAXman-@SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

    > I've put a "log session filename" in the script I've written. It opens
    > a file with the name "filename" but there is never anything written in
    > the file. I want/need to log the session with the debug output included.

    I just tested very briefly with C-Kermit, and I think what's going on
    is session logging is suspended when terminal debug mode is on. As I
    said, it was just a brief test, so I'm not certain, but it looks like
    you can't log a session in terminal debug mode.

    However, this may not really be a problem in that the regular session
    log is a log of the raw data stream and includes all the control
    characters and escape sequences, just not 'printably rendered'. I.e.,
    the , , , etc. characters are all in the session log, but
    as themselves, not as ^M, ^J, ^[, etc. If it is important to see the
    transparent characters in the latter form, you could always run the
    session log through a filter that would render them that way.

    Finally, I think K-95 2.1.3 at least does log when terminal debug mode
    is on, but it continues to log the raw data, not the interpreted data,
    so in any case, you might as well just log the raw session and, if
    necessary, filter it after the fact.

    --
    Mark Sapiro msapiro at value net The highway is for gamblers,

  9. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    In article , Frank da Cruz writes:

    >On 2005-11-10, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    >: I have the following in a script:
    >: ...
    >: set terminal debug on
    >: log session test.log
    >: ...
    >:
    >: When I connect, I get what I'd expect from the "set terminal debug on" but
    >: the test.log file is always empty.
    >:
    >Wow, I never noticed that before. You're right, when terminal debugging is
    >on, the session log stops recording. I'll have to look into that.
    >
    >- Frank

    CRAP! I really need that... by Monday too.

  10. Re: Kermit logging of a session

    On 2005-11-11, VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
    : In article ,
    :>:
    :>Wow, I never noticed that before. You're right, when terminal debugging is
    :>on, the session log stops recording. I'll have to look into that.
    :
    : CRAP! I really need that... by Monday too.
    :
    I put up a new C-Kermit "daily" build, 8.0.212 Dev.05, that fixes this:

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckdaily.html

    For now, it logs in debugging format if SET TERMINAL DEBUG is ON. There are
    good arguments for doing it either way. If somebody desperately needs to
    be able to save a raw session log while TERMINAL DEBUG is ON, I suppose I
    can add Yet Another SET Command for choosing.

    It also has a small new feature. Whenever you give a command that refers to
    a local file (can be wildcard), the local file specification is saved and
    can be recalled in a subsequent command (or even the same one) by typing
    Ctrl-K. I realize it's not quite the same as EMACS- or Vi-style command-
    line editing, but that's not in the cards for Kermit for various reasons
    (size, portability, conflict with current functionality). Example:

    directory ck[cuw]*.[cwh]
    send ^K

    The SEND command turns into "send ck[cuw]*.[cwh]".

    The same filespec is also available in the new variable \v(lastfilespec).

    - Frank

+ Reply to Thread